Q. I have lumps on my penis that are increasing in size. Kindly help.

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

I have small lumps on the base of my penis. I am not sure about the duration of the lumps, but I feel like they are increasing in size. I am sexually active with my partner for three years.

Kindly help me know what it is.

Thanks.

#

I understand your concerns.

I have gone through the pictures you sent (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). I need more information to comment anything on them. Kindly let me know the answers for the following;

1) When did you notice them?

2) Do they pain or itch?

3) Do you have any fever now or in the recent past?

4) Do they burst open or disappear by themselves?

5) If they burst open, do they ooze any fluid?

6) Any such lesions elsewhere in your body?

7) Are there similar lesions on your partner's private parts?

8) Do they pop up if you shave the area?

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply.

The answers are as follows;

1) Started noticing them probably a few months ago.

2) There is no pain or itch.

3) No history of fever.

4) They do not burst, it is like they are just skin, but they do not exactly look like skin tags.

5) No, they do not ooze any substance.

6) No similar lesions in my body.

7) No, she has a couple of skin tags but no lumps.

8) When I shave the area, I guess it pops up.

Thanks.

#

Thanks for those answers.

For me, they look like either molluscum or HPV (human papilloma virus) infection. Both of them are sexually transmitted infections. There are a variety of HPV strains that can cause diseases. Commonly many are infected but do not show any symptoms like rashes in private areas. Such people are asymptomatic carriers but can transmit the infection to others. Both the infections mentioned above have a high probability in your case.

However, do not panic.

They are very common and resolve with proper treatment without severe consequences. I suggest you visit your dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis. Diagnosis can be made by examining the lesions and content of the lesions under magnifying glass or microscope is required. If anyone of them is confirmed, ensure that you and your partner take the treatment simultaneously. Duration and type of treatment depend on the diagnosis.

Take care.

|