Q. What could a single small red bump on the penis be due to?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am a 30 year old male who is sexually active. I seem to have developed a single small red bump on the head of my penis right after having sex. I have had a yeast infection on my penis head before. So, I assumed it was that again after having prolonged sex. I did not use a condom and I have been with her for three years now. I had sex with one other person two months ago, but that was protected and no oral sex was performed. I have a Betamethasone and Clotrimazole ointment with me. So, I have been applying that for a day now. The redness has gone away, but the bump is still there. It is painless and does not cause any sort of discomfort or discharge. Before this, I did not have sex for five weeks. I clean my penis every day and I never noticed this red bump before having sex. I am afraid it could be herpes but, I am not sure if I can get a herpes bump that quickly. This has me really stressed out and I do not know what to do. Could this be herpes or genital warts? I do have a picture. In the picture, you can see the edges of the bumps are slightly pinkish followed by a white rim. The bump is the size of the full stop symbol on your phone's keyboard. There are no other bumps around it.

#

• The bump does not appear to be of herpes. This is a small papule-like lesion. But, there is no discharge or pain in your case. I do not think this is related to herpes though the pictures were not very clear.
  • Herpes usually causes painful blisters or papular lesions that are associated with discharge. So, remain assured that the lesion is not due to herpes.
  • This could be due to friction or a fungal infection, possibly a yeast infection.
  • Avoid using hard soaps and wash with clear water only.
  • You can apply Clotrimazole for treatment. Steroids should not be used without consulting a dermatologist.

For more information consult a sexologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

|