Q. What could a single small red bump on the penis be due to?

Answered by
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am a 30 year old male who is sexually active. I seem to have developed a single small red bump on the head of my penis right after having sex. I have had a yeast infection on my penis head before. So, I assumed it was that again after having prolonged sex. I did not use a condom and I have been with her for three years now. I had sex with one other person two months ago, but that was protected and no oral sex was performed. I have a Betamethasone and Clotrimazole ointment with me. So, I have been applying that for a day now. The redness has gone away, but the bump is still there. It is painless and does not cause any sort of discomfort or discharge. Before this, I did not have sex for five weeks. I clean my penis every day and I never noticed this red bump before having sex. I am afraid it could be herpes but, I am not sure if I can get a herpes bump that quickly. This has me really stressed out and I do not know what to do. Could this be herpes or genital warts? I do have a picture. In the picture, you can see the edges of the bumps are slightly pinkish followed by a white rim. The bump is the size of the full stop symbol on your phone's keyboard. There are no other bumps around it.



Welcome to

  • The bump does not appear to be of herpes. This is a small papule-like lesion. But, there is no discharge or pain in your case. I do not think this is related to herpes though the pictures were not very clear.
  • Herpes usually causes painful blisters or papular lesions that are associated with discharge. So, remain assured that the lesion is not due to herpes.
  • This could be due to friction or a fungal infection, possibly a yeast infection.
  • Avoid using hard soaps and wash with clear water only.
  • You can apply Clotrimazole for treatment. Steroids should not be used without consulting a dermatologist.

For more information consult a sexologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
There is a reddish-sticky part on my foreskin even after having medications. Why?

.. that you are concerned, but I can assure you that in the photographs there is no feature suggestive of any cancer. I understand that you had a blister after intercourse, that might be friction blister as other cause of blister in genitals include ...   Read full

What can cause itchy bumps on penis that cluster together?

.. noted your concern and I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have genital molluscum contagiosum. It is an STD (sexually transmitted disease). They can be removed with electrocautery or radiofrequency caute...   Read full

Had blisters due to rough masturbation. How would they heal?

You can use Mupirocin ointment twice daily and take tablet Clavam 625 mg (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) thrice daily for seven days ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
Nighttime Skin Routine for Clear Skin
A skin that gets all the attention during the day requires a chance to repair, rejuvenate and replenish from day damage ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Sexologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.