Q. What could a single small red bump on the penis be due to?

Hello doctor,

I am a 30 year old male who is sexually active. I seem to have developed a single small red bump on the head of my penis right after having sex. I have had a yeast infection on my penis head before. So, I assumed it was that again after having prolonged sex. I did not use a condom and I have been with her for three years now. I had sex with one other person two months ago, but that was protected and no oral sex was performed. I have a Betamethasone and Clotrimazole ointment with me. So, I have been applying that for a day now. The redness has gone away, but the bump is still there. It is painless and does not cause any sort of discomfort or discharge. Before this, I did not have sex for five weeks. I clean my penis every day and I never noticed this red bump before having sex. I am afraid it could be herpes but, I am not sure if I can get a herpes bump that quickly. This has me really stressed out and I do not know what to do. Could this be herpes or genital warts? I do have a picture. In the picture, you can see the edges of the bumps are slightly pinkish followed by a white rim. The bump is the size of the full stop symbol on your phone's keyboard. There are no other bumps around it.

Do you have a question on Bumps On Penis or Fungal Infection?

Ask a Doctor Now

MBBS., MD PSYCHIATRY
Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology

• The bump does not appear to be of herpes. This is a small papule-like lesion. But, there is no discharge or pain in your case. I do not think this is related to herpes though the pictures were not very clear.
  • Herpes usually causes painful blisters or papular lesions that are associated with discharge. So, remain assured that the lesion is not due to herpes.
  • This could be due to friction or a fungal infection, possibly a yeast infection.
  • Avoid using hard soaps and wash with clear water only.
  • You can apply Clotrimazole for treatment. Steroids should not be used without consulting a dermatologist.

For more information consult a sexologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Can herpes cause feet neuropathy?
Query: Hello doctor, I have developed feet neuropathy, primarily the right foot from the past one year. The symptoms went away six months back but returned a month back (burning, tingling, etc). I suffer from high blood pressure and anxiety. The neurologists could not find the cause after all tests. I tes...  Read Full »
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is less likely that your symptoms are related to herpes. Herpes infection does not usually lead to such a clinical situation. Besides, a positive test does not always indicate an active infection. The fact that your tests resulted in positive means that you have g...  Read Full »

Why am I having itching and irritation near genital area?
Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from heavy itching and irritation in the area between thighs near genital area and asshole area. Currently, I am using Candid B lotion and Clotrimazole cream.  Read Full »
Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Avoid Candid B (Beclometasone and Clotrimazole) cream. It is a fungal infection. You will need oral antifungal medication. Are you allergic to oral medication? Are you diabetic? For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-d...  Read Full »

Post herpes attack, I am suffering from Bells's palsy. Please advise.
Query: Hello doctor, Post a severe attack of herpes on the left shoulder, left ear (in and out), chest, and back I am now suffering from Bell's palsy on the left side. Symptoms are as follows: Cannot raise left eyebrow. Cannot tighten left nostril. Cannot move lips (left side). Left eye constantly w...  Read Full »
Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest we do not start on steroids now as there is an active herpes infection which can flare up with steroids. Once it is six to eight weeks of Acyclovir therapy, we can start Dexamethasone 4 mg eighth hourly. However, you will have to consult your physician, di...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now