Q. Will the tentacle-like tissue under the side of my tongue stay lifelong?

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

I have a tentacle-like tissue under the side of my tongue, and I have attached a picture of it. I have been dealing with a lot of stress for the last few weeks, as I searched online about it and felt it might be globus. The image is not the best, but hopefully, you can ease my mind and tell me it is something normal. Does it stay life-long? Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. The picture (attachment removed to protect the patient’s identity) you have sent is not clear enough to tell what it is. I would suggest you focus on the area of concern. In addition, I would also know if there are associated symptoms that you are having. Unless there is some feeling of obstruction in the throat with a lot of dryness and non-productive cough, I will not bring the diagnosis of globus. Globus is usually associated with prolonged standing GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) and LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux) and is rarely seen otherwise. If the lesion has not been creating any trouble or symptoms, I suggest you not get too worried. I would want to have a detailed look at it for an appropriate diagnosis. Please send me another picture focusing on the area of concern, or you can use an arrow to indicate the location bothering you.

I hope you understand.

|