Q. What can be done for carpal tunnel pain in both hands?

Dr. Chintan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Nov 18, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2019

I was seen today for what seems to be carpal tunnel pain in both hands or wrist right being worse. It has been going on for over two weeks straight. Massages do not work, splints do not work. The pain is horrible at night, my hands are not just numb, my middle fingers feel like they are on fire, no sleep, now numbness has been going on for over a week during the day also. Constantly no matter what I do, I received steroid injection today in right carpal tunnel. Now my concern is that I have hip dysplasia and have had injections. Yes, they help with pain but now that it has worn off my hip is actually worse. I am scared that is going to happen with my hands also. Is it wrong to tell my doctor I want surgery still and soon? And I have no clue how severe I have it since I just saw him today for the first time for this and only test that was performed was the tapping on my wrist.

Dr. Chintan

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

Greetings for a healthy future. I understand that you have symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands.

Regarding your questions about severity and surgery I hope following helps you. In order to know the exact cause and the severity of problem, it will be helpful to get objective test done. EMG NCV is a good test to reach a diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. Also, it will be important to see if there are other risk factors- Thyroid disorders, endocrinal disorders, recent hormonal changes- pregnancy or pills, etc.

Regarding steroid injections: Injections in hip are within the joint and hence long term effect will be wearing of the joint. In carpal tunnel syndrome, the injections are in carpal tunnel and if your symptoms have relieved completely after injection then it is the cause of your problems. So once carpal tunnel syndrome is diagnosed then you can opt for surgery depending on the severity of disease. My recommendation is to get EMG NCV test to confirm carpal tunnel syndrome, if very severe, then plan for surgery.

Is it serious to have tingling sensation in hand?

Query: Hello doctor, Today, my hand is tingly off and on. It is my entire hand, but it especially seems to affect my pinky finger. My other hand does not have this issue, and it does not affect any other part of my body. The tingling feeling has come and gone for two hours. Is there any way for me to tell...  Read Full »

I have on and off pain in feet and wrists. Is that due to high uric acid or nerve disorder?

Query: Hi doctor, I have pain in my feet and wrist sometimes, and I take painkillers. It goes and comes back again after a few months or weeks. It is not due to external injury. I got a blood test, and my uric acid was high at 10 mg/dL. Now, I take Feburic 40 mg for some time. Today again, I had a pain on...  Read Full »

Can ulnar nerve relocation surgery be the reason for my wrist pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing pain in my left wrist for a month now. I had x-rays and a CT scan showing normal, but the pain continues. A few years back, I had ulnar nerve relocation surgery from a fall on ice in the same arm. Could the nerve be the reason I am having this wrist issue?  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now