Q. I have cataract with pars planitis in right eye. Should I get monofocal lens or multifocal lens?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

I have complicated cataract RE with pars planitis. My doctor started conservative treatment and after two months he advised me to go for the surgery for cataract. I wanted to go with a multifocal lens in my eye to avoid specs after surgery. But the doctor suggested me to go for monofocal as the eye is having infection pars planitis. Is the doctor right to choose a monofocal or should I go for a multifocal lens?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Your doctor is correct in choosing monofocal as the amount of useful vision you will get would be less and the inflammatory reaction due to pars planitis may cause you to get lesser vision post surgery than what you had before it. Another option, however, is that you can wait for around three months after your pars planitis has resolved, and when there is no residual inflammation, then it is a good option to have multi focals implemented, provided your vision potential is good.

|