Q. I have cataract with pars planitis in right eye. Should I get monofocal lens or multifocal lens?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Published on Nov 17, 2019

I have complicated cataract RE with pars planitis. My doctor started conservative treatment and after two months he advised me to go for the surgery for cataract. I wanted to go with a multifocal lens in my eye to avoid specs after surgery. But the doctor suggested me to go for monofocal as the eye is having infection pars planitis. Is the doctor right to choose a monofocal or should I go for a multifocal lens?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Your doctor is correct in choosing monofocal as the amount of useful vision you will get would be less and the inflammatory reaction due to pars planitis may cause you to get lesser vision post surgery than what you had before it. Another option, however, is that you can wait for around three months after your pars planitis has resolved, and when there is no residual inflammation, then it is a good option to have multi focals implemented, provided your vision potential is good.

Why is there a constant body itching with painful bowel movements?

Query: Hello doctor, I have itching all over the body and different part itch at different time. And whenever it itches skin becomes pink like you can see in the photo attached. Also whenever skin itches I have some pain or movement in the stomach, I also have pain during bowel movements. What is the caus...  Read Full »

Age Related Cataract and its Management

Article Overview: This article discusses about senile cataract, which is the most common cause of preventable blindness. Most of us will have age related cataract in the old age. The only treatment we have is surgery; by which we can restore normal vision. Read Article

Dr. Anand
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Cataract is a decrease in transparency of the natural crystalline lens present in the eye. This lens, as in a camera, helps transmitted light to focus on the retina.  Causes of Cataract: Age related cataract is the most common type. Other causes of cataract can be: Congenital (for example ...  Read Article

Can cataract surgery be had in a person with high blood sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, My 68-year-old mother has cataracts in her both eyes. She is advised to have a cataract surgery in her right eye. But her blood sugar level is 150 mg/dL at fasting and 190 mg/dL postprandial. Her HbA1c is 8.8%. We are confused whether cataract operation can be undertaken with this sug...  Read Full »