Q. After a gym workout, I have constant headache with pain in neck and back. What to do?

Dr. Sandeep Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I had a gym workout including abdominal workout and back squats on an Olympic bar. I started to have headaches and it got increased from moderate to pounding and it lasted for two days. It was accompanied by neck and upper back pain. Most importantly, I had pain just below the sternum and above the upper abdomen. Currently, I have sharp and shooting pain in the same area below the sternum on walking. I have the same pain while tilting the head forward. I also have back pain on the horizontal level to the pain in the area below the sternum. My headache has got subsided but it is not gone fully. It is constant and pounds up while getting up or when moving with speed.

#

I am sorry to hear about the pain that started after doing exercise. The symptoms you are describing seem to be due to cervical spondylitis. Due to the spasm of neck muscles, there is pain in the upper part of the body and headache. You need a short term treatment by taking analgesics, muscle relaxants, and rest is needed till the pain subsides. Long-term management is focused on physiotherapy and it helps for strengthening the upper body and neck muscles. Please mention about the medication taken.

Thank you for the response. I am taking Advil and I am not taking any muscle relaxants.

#

You can take Advil (Ibuprofen) for now. You also need to take muscle relaxants by getting a prescription.

|