Q. What are the risk factors of chest pain?

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 12, 2020

I am a 35 year old female. I have on and off sharp pain in the left upper chest. Sometimes, it radiates to the neck and sometimes shoulder and upper arm. My ECG, bloods and chest x-ray were normal. With all these tests, is it likely to be the heart? Movement does not seem to influence the pain. Sometimes, I get a bit dizzy too. Pain seems to come randomly. Doctor prescribed Diclac 50 mg thrice a day and Clorom 500 mg twice a day. What else could it be? Colonoscopy has done recently due to family history of cancer and that was clear. Ultrasound of the abdomen was also clear.

#

I have carefully worked through your case and can well realize your health worries. Thanks for uploading the details of some laboratory reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your blood pressure and other parameters seem to be normal.
  • Pain at this site can be from the heart especially where it radiates to the shoulder too.
  • Yes, as you asked, it can also be from pancreatic infection. But, there are more symptoms and there is an evidence in laboratory reports too. So, that seems to be less likely.
  • Physical examination of the abdomen and auscultation of heart may give better clues about this issue though.
  • Your body mass index is high. The normal range being 18.5 to 24.9. This is also a risk of cardiac diseases.
  • The tests you described are not conclusive to rule out cardiac diseases. We need to go for some more sophisticated and specific tests like ETT and angiography, if indicated after ETT (exercise tolerance test).
  • Dangerous is the central obesity. Belly fat is notorious as compared to the rest of the body fat. It causes most heart diseases than overall obesity.
  • You need to consult a cardiologist and ask him for ETT, echocardiography and if needed an angiography to see if there is a heart disease. Heart disease I mean is coronary artery disease (CAD) that is the obstruction of heart muscle's own blood supply.
  • Management goes accordingly. Until then, continue with the present medications.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|