Q. I have a cough for about 8 days with no fever. Can this be COVID-19?

Dr. Peter Grutas
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 14, 2020

I have a cough for almost eight days. My cough was not frequent and I have no fever till now. I feel like something is in my throat sometimes. Can it be a COVID-19? I take Azithromycin 500 mg once a day after meal and Rhinokast F before sleep.

Dr. Peter Grutas

#

Do you have any recent travel to countries or areas with COVID-19? How about any recent exposure to someone who is positive with COVID-19? If your answer to these questions is none, then it is least likely for you to have COVID-19.

COVID-19 initial symptoms would include cough accompanied by fever. On top of that most patients would also experience difficulty breathing. Since you mentioned you did not have a fever, it is least likely you have COVID-19 at this point. However, if symptoms, persist, worsen or new onset of symptoms such as difficulty breathing, and fever further consult is advised.

| 

I studied in other state within my country where there are about 15 cases of COVID-19. But I am at home now. No fever or difficulty in breathing. But sometimes I feel like something is in my throat. Is the chance high?

Dr. Peter Grutas

#

I understand. The chance would still be low. As I mentioned above, a few days after getting the infection most patients would have experience fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. However, considering the circumstances you mentioned and since what we have right now is a pandemic. I would still advise you to undergo and complete 14 days of self-quarantine and observe your symptoms. If you did not experience fever, or difficulty breathing within two weeks after possible exposure, then it is least likely to be COVID-19. Other possible causes of your symptoms include URTI (upper respiratory tract infection), allergy, or possible LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux).

| 

Deadly Coronavirus - Everything You Need to Know

Article Overview: This is a short write-up about the pandemic COVID-19 that is raging through the world and causing innumerable deaths. The article brings out some instructions on how to keep safe during these times. It also discusses some medical terms which have become common parlance. Additionally, the article advises you on how to keep yourself and loved ones safe. Read Article

Infectious Diseases Specialist

In these times when coronavirus is raging through the world, killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people, and, at the other end we have thousands of online forwards and memes tickling our collar bone. It is wise if we can take a moment, sit back, read and understand what exactly is happening ar...  Read Article

Coronavirus: Strictly Avoid Self-Medication

Article Overview: Self-medication practices always include a certain degree of potential risk. Assuming yourself that you have a particular disease and consuming medications on your own is never safe. Read Article

Dr. Lochana
Infectious Diseases Specialist

The current Coronavirus (COVID-19) is declared as a pandemic of public health importance and many countries have been affected. The cases are increasing day by day and many countries have gone into lockdown. It is true that the whole world is affected and the cases with COVID-19 are increasing dail...  Read Article

I have chronic cough even after quitting smoking before years. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 53 years old, and have quit smoking 19 years ago. I still have a chronic cough. Each specialist tells me something different. The pulmonologist told me it was asthma, and another doctor said it was acid reflux disease. Now they are telling me it is COPD. I do not have diminished...  Read Full »