Q. My sinus problem has increased in the last few months. Please help.

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2021

I have sinus issue for a year. Previously, I will have a random flare-up of 20 to 25 percent a day in both the nostrils. It seems to be fully clogged and it returns back to normal on the rest of the day. The occurrence rate has got increased in the last few months. I have constant pressure with headaches for the last three days. I have pain in my cheeks and jaw. Occasionally, I have a yeasty smell when my sinus show flare-ups. Currently, I am taking cold medicines with a decongestant. I have also tried using Flonase but there is no improvement.

#

As per the history, you are suffering from rhinosinusitis. It is an inflammation of the mucosa of the nose and paranasal sinuses. The symptoms are frontal headache, facial fullness, nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, postnasal drip, hyposmia, decrease in concentration, difficulty in sleeping, and waking up with tiredness. You can take Amoxicillin 500 mg three times a day for seven days. You can use Mometasone furoate nasal spray one puff on each nostril two times a day for two weeks. You can take tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg at night for seven days. Take steam inhalation two times a day. Avoid having dust and cold.

|