Login      Sign Up

Q. I get a sharp pain in my tailbone if I sit even for 30 minutes. What is the reason?


Hello doctor,

I am a 25 year old female, and I weigh 175 lbs and 5.7 feet tall. I have noticed for the past few months, that sitting is becoming increasingly uncomfortable. I get a sharp pain in my tailbone if I sit for even 30 minutes to an hour. The pain when I straighten up again can cause me to double over when it is at its worst. I went to the movies this week, and it was almost unbearable to sit through, which seems odd for someone my age. I am fairly active, although I do have a part-time job that somewhat frequently requires sitting for a few hours. I have been told that the bones in my back are a bit smaller than normal due to my long torso, but I am otherwise healthy. When I was 13 or 14, I fell off the back of a dirtbike directly onto the pavement, and I landed on my tailbone area. I never went to the doctor about it. Is it possible that an injury like that from so long ago could be causing me problems now? Other than that occasion, I have had no recent trauma to that area. Either way, whether the old injury is bothering me or it is coming just from added sitting at my job, is there anything I can do to relieve this pain?


Dr.Atul Prakash
Fitness Expert, Orthopedics And Traumatology, Physiotherapy, Spine Health


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • You describe a condition called coccydynia. I suggest you try doing the following.
  1. Avoid soft cushiony seats where one would sink into. Sitting on firm seats is more comfortable than soft ones.
  2. Sit forwards rather than back, and by this I mean that avoid slouching into the seat to take the support of the backrest. This makes your coccyx into a weight-bearing position.
  3. Try sitz bath.
  4. Do pelvic floor strengthening exercises like kegel exercises.
  5. Try a cut-out seat, which is called coccydynia seat if you have to sit for long durations at a stretch.
  • If none of this helps, then get an x-ray, to see if the coccyx is deformed from the fall.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Ask a Doctor Online
Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* expert medical advice guaranteed.

Also Read Answers From

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist »
* expert medical advice guaranteed.
Ask a Doctor Online