Q. How normal is that embryo is not seen in the first five or six weeks of pregnancy?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 25, 2021

I am 29 years old. My last period was about two months back, and I had the bleeding for three days. I found out that I was pregnant about four weeks back. I had an ultrasound scan vaginally two days back, and the doctor did not find a fetus. She just found that I was five weeks and one day pregnant and not six weeks as we had thought. She has ordered an HCG test, and I have to go back to her next week. I am very much worried. I cannot even sleep. How normal is that the doctor does not see the embryo in the first five or six weeks? I love my baby already, and I cannot think of a miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy. Currently, I am taking prenatal vitamins.

#

If she found that you are five plus one weeks pregnant, then that means she has found the gestational sac with some fetal tissue but no cardiac activity. I have to see the sonography report to comment on it.

Usually, around four to five weeks, the fetal poles can be viewed. And around six weeks cardiac activity can be appreciated in the sonography.

If not, then it can be a delayed pregnancy or there may be a decreased growth of the baby. There is nothing to worry about a delayed pregnancy.

But, if there is a decrease in the growth of the baby, then it is a matter of concern. But you have to wait for a few weeks for confirmation.

If the baby increases in size around six plus one weeks, then the baby is growing well, and there is no decreased growth. You do not have any choice other than to take medicines and wait for the next scan.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|