Q. I am 34 weeks pregnant. Can I take anti-D injection now?

Answered by
Dr. Uzma Arqam
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am 34 weeks pregnant and I have not taken the anti-D injection. I am A negative and my husband is O positive. When and how can I take it now?



Welcome to

A mother with blood group negative and father with positive blood group can give a child with positive blood group and immunity develops in the mother's blood that can cause hemolysis in child's blood, in case of fetomaternal hemorrhage. In this scenario normally, anti-D has to be given to Rh-negative mother at 28 and 32 weeks in addition to a hemorrhage if she has or if the antibody titer is high on the blood test. It would be better if you would describe your complete obstetrics and gynaecology report, menstrual history and the medical history. It is better to have antibody titer and discuss your situation with your obstetrician.

If this is the first child, it is not a big issue but if you have a child then you need immediate attention as there are antibodies present. In case of any bleeding, you need an immediate anti-D injection. Baby's blood has to be checked immediately after birth. If you are not getting the anti-D injection, baby can have hemolysis, anemia, low birth weight, jaundice.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Rh was given as 'weak D positive'. Does that affect mother or baby?

Ideally, it is important to know the status of the blood group of the mother if she is Rh negative so that anti D injections can be given to prevent complications in subsequent pregnancies if the...   Read full

Is second pregnancy safe in Rh negative mother after anti-D injection?

The miscarriage could be because of some other cause and not because of negative blood group, as she has already been given anti-D ...   Read full

Where should I insert my penis during intercourse?

.. your query and understand your concerns. The vaginal opening is located at the junction of the upper two thirds and the lower one third between the two soft skins and there you need to insert the penis while having intercourse. Position matters b...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.