Q. I am 34 weeks pregnant. Can I take anti-D injection now?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

I am 34 weeks pregnant and I have not taken the anti-D injection. I am A negative and my husband is O positive. When and how can I take it now?

#

A mother with blood group negative and father with positive blood group can give a child with positive blood group and immunity develops in the mother's blood that can cause hemolysis in child's blood, in case of fetomaternal hemorrhage. In this scenario normally, anti-D has to be given to Rh-negative mother at 28 and 32 weeks in addition to a hemorrhage if she has or if the antibody titer is high on the blood test. It would be better if you would describe your complete obstetrics and gynaecology report, menstrual history and the medical history. It is better to have antibody titer and discuss your situation with your obstetrician.

If this is the first child, it is not a big issue but if you have a child then you need immediate attention as there are antibodies present. In case of any bleeding, you need an immediate anti-D injection. Baby's blood has to be checked immediately after birth. If you are not getting the anti-D injection, baby can have hemolysis, anemia, low birth weight, jaundice.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|