Q. Is second pregnancy safe in Rh negative mother after anti-D injection?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

My blood group is O +ve and my wife's is O -ve. Our child was born four years back and he is O +ve. After his birth, my wife was given an injection to avoid future complications arising due to opposite blood groups of my wife and son. Two years later, she had an abortion. The pregnancy was 45 days old. After this, above injection was not given. Please advice, if it is safe to go for a pregnancy. Also, please advice, if there are any tests to ascertain the risk and medications to avoid the same.

#

Since she has received injection after first delivery, there is nothing to worry about. So relax and do not worry. However, if you have a doubt then get an indirect Coombs test to make sure that there is no risk. The miscarriage could be because of some other cause and not because of negative blood group, as she has already been given anti-D. In case you are planning for pregnancy, get started with folic acid supplements.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I have noted that the injection after the first pregnancy will take care of the risk. We were worried because the injection was not taken after the second pregnancy (aborted). We will go for the indirect Coombs test as you suggested, to be sure.

#

Take care.

For further queries contact an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|