Q. What are the ways to conceive with PCOD and thyroid issues?

Answered by
Dr. Uzma Arqam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 02, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am 24 years old having PCOD and thyroid from past 3 years, as well as my weight has increased to 65 kg from 50 kg within these three years, my height is 4.9 ft. I am suffering alot to reduce my weight and it is not happening .Now I am planning to conceive, please suggest me medication to reduce my weight as well as to conceive.



Welcome to

Thyroid and PCOD both affect fertility so need precautions, investigations on regular basis if needed, treatment and dose adjustments accordingly. Thyroid abnormalities can affect fertility, periods flow regularity, can cause miscarriages, increases risks of congenital anomalies in fetus, etc. So have regular consultations and check of thyroid levels so can have dose adjustments.

Polycystic ovaries can disturb periods scanty / irregular, can give abnormal hair growth, sudden weight gain, disturb insulin levels that increases risks of having diabetes as well as disturb metabolism. Main factor that will help is weight reduction or balanced weight and BMI by daily exercise, yoga and walk, can take help of instructor. Have balanced diet with less sugar, oil, spice and salt, can adjust with dietician to guide for balanced diet . Have Folic acid daily and sex in fertile period of cycle. You can have tablet Glucophage 500 mg twice daliy after food and if feels low sugar levels then better start with lesser dose.

To regulate periods for 2 cycles in addition to weight reduction, Folic acid and Glucophage can be taken with combined oral Contraceptive pills to regulate cycles. Husband's general health also needs attention, should quit smoking or any other recreational drug. After 2 months start sex in fertile period of cycle. Have complete treatment for any health issue you or partner have. Send me recent transvaginal scan and blood tests on day 2 of periods (testosterone, progesterone, insulin, prolactin, FSH and LH, thyroid function test). If conceived, continue Glucophage in whole first trimester and then discuss here or with treating doctor.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have PCOD from the last 10 years. Please suggest a permanent cure.

.. that PCOD is not diagnosed by ultrasound.Kindly get thyroid profile, serum androsterone test, serum prolactin, serum testosterone, free androgen index, serum insulin, and fasting blood sugar test done.Start doing six sets of Surya Namaskar every d...   Read full

Thyroid levels gets increased after delivery. Why?

.. her reports, and it appears that she has postpartum thyroiditis. She can start tablet Carbimazole (Neo-Mercazole) 5 mg twice daily for four weeks and then repeat her thyroid function test to adjust her dose further. I hope you find my advice benef...   Read full

Thyroid problem.Taking homeopathy medicines. Female, 42, 5 feet. What should she do

Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. Suddenly, I am having large floaters in my eyes. Is it possible that it will decrease with time? How long will it take to decrease?   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.