Q. What are the ways to conceive with PCOD and thyroid issues?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I am 24 years old having PCOD and thyroid from past 3 years, as well as my weight has increased to 65 kg from 50 kg within these three years, my height is 4.9 ft. I am suffering alot to reduce my weight and it is not happening .Now I am planning to conceive, please suggest me medication to reduce my weight as well as to conceive.

#

Thyroid and PCOD both affect fertility so need precautions, investigations on regular basis if needed, treatment and dose adjustments accordingly. Thyroid abnormalities can affect fertility, periods flow regularity, can cause miscarriages, increases risks of congenital anomalies in fetus, etc. So have regular consultations and check of thyroid levels so can have dose adjustments.

Polycystic ovaries can disturb periods scanty / irregular, can give abnormal hair growth, sudden weight gain, disturb insulin levels that increases risks of having diabetes as well as disturb metabolism. Main factor that will help is weight reduction or balanced weight and BMI by daily exercise, yoga and walk, can take help of instructor. Have balanced diet with less sugar, oil, spice and salt, can adjust with dietician to guide for balanced diet . Have Folic acid daily and sex in fertile period of cycle. You can have tablet Glucophage 500 mg twice daliy after food and if feels low sugar levels then better start with lesser dose.

To regulate periods for 2 cycles in addition to weight reduction, Folic acid and Glucophage can be taken with combined oral Contraceptive pills to regulate cycles. Husband's general health also needs attention, should quit smoking or any other recreational drug. After 2 months start sex in fertile period of cycle. Have complete treatment for any health issue you or partner have. Send me recent transvaginal scan and blood tests on day 2 of periods (testosterone, progesterone, insulin, prolactin, FSH and LH, thyroid function test). If conceived, continue Glucophage in whole first trimester and then discuss here or with treating doctor.

|