Q. What are the ways to figure out the conception date?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

How can I figure out my conception date? My last menstrual period was three months back. I had my dating ultrasound and it put the GA at 9 weeks and 3 days. Also there was a CRL measurement of 26.96. My due date based on LMP and ultrasound are different. Please answer. Also how many "safe" days are there after a period?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

First of let me tell you that if your menses is coming every month with 2-3 days here or there then it is absolutely normal cycle. Now in normal cycle ovulation occurs in the middle of the cycle (around 12-18th day of cycle) when conception can actually happen. First 8 and last 8 days of your cycle are safe period in normal menses as there is no chance of pregnancy thus safe.

Now pregnancy can happen in regular and irregular cycle both. And it is far more difficult to calculate the actual date of conception. Other than that it is easy to remember last date of menses and easy for calculation, so we are calculating pregnancy from last day of menses. In technical terms there are two age of pregnancy one is gestational age and other is embryonic age. Embryonic age is actual age from conception and gestational age is from last day of menstruation. So do not get confused. Lastly if your pregnancy is growing well that I can assume by your history then no need to worry and the due date according to last menstrual period is the date. Now what is importance of this date? It means if delivery pain starts near this date then let it happen. Do not interfere and if it does not start till date then induce pain with some method of induction.

|