Q. Are thick discharge and heaviness in eyes contagious?

Dr. K K Agrawal
Published on Feb 06, 2019

My mother is facing water discharge from her eyes. With water, there is also some thick semi-liquid discharge from sides. These symptoms are also accompanied by some heaviness in the eyes. I believe this is contagious as one another family member of mine is facing the same issues.

Dr. K K Agrawal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Your mother is most probably suffering from infective conjunctivitis. Probably bacterial. The treatment is antibiotic eye drops. You should consult an Ophthalmologist for the same. Most important is that it should not spread to others. It spreads from person to person by droplets. thus everyone in your family should avoid using the same clothes, etc., like your mother. Also, ask her not to hold any babies and touch others hands. If done so, then wash immediately with soap. With treatment, it should resolve in a week. Please follow-up with any further queries.

Is my left eye red due to constant contact lens use?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 16 years old, and I wear contact lenses. I have never really taken them off. I would sleep with the contact lenses in my eyes and I have started wearing them since I was 13 years old. I would change them, but I would not take them off, and I would go days. My vision gets worse wh...  Read Full »

What medicines can be taken for acute conjunctivitis?

Query: Hello doctor, Last week my eyes got red. So, I consulted an eye doctor. The doctor diagnosed it as acute conjunctivitis and prescribed me Vigamox eye drops and Refresh Tears for two weeks. My left eye cured in three to four days and the right eye cured only half. I am not able to understand what to...  Read Full »

May I know whether red and swollen eye with blurry vision indicate pink eye?

Query: Hi doctor, My right eye is stinging with blurry vision. It is red and a bit swollen. I am experiencing the above every day. Do I have pink eye?  Read Full »