Q. My stomach is getting bigger, and I have constipation problem. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. Prathap
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Mar 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2019

Hi doctor,

I am a 21 year old girl. I used to eat a lot from my childhood, but I was not that fat. I had a big belly from 13 years, and I used to hide it in my dress because I was shy of it. From about five months my stomach has become bigger. I have problems with sitting and doing daily household works like cleaning and washing. I had no such problems when I was in college, and it all started after my college life. I also have a constipation problem, and I do not go to the bathroom daily. Usually, I go once in two or four days. I do not hold it in, but I do not have the feeling to go to the bathroom at all. I have a habit of holding urine, and sometimes I hold my urine for 12 hours. I have no problems with my periods, as usual, it is two days early and some pain in the starting, for which I take painkillers. I did not consult any doctor still. I am also attaching the photos of my stomach. Please help.

Dr. Prathap

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.

After seeing your photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity), this is what I feel.

  • The issue with your stomach and constipation is related to your lifestyle only.
  • It appears that the level of physical activity is very less in your case and so you are facing these problems.
  • Have a check on the diet you take. Have a fiber-rich diet, so that it will solve the problem of constipation and also will help to reduce the abdominal fat.
  • Practice regular physical exercises and concentrate more on abdominal exercises.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Hi doctor,

Thank you for replying. Can you please tell me what to do for my constipation problem? I am having this for some years now.

Dr. Prathap

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • As I have already mentioned above, take a fiber-rich diet like banana, green leafy vegetables, etc.
  • If the constipation problem is not improved, then try taking medicines.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

Why do women become fat during or after pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know why do women become fat during or after pregnancy?  Read Full >>

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Women become fat because of lack of physical activity, exercise, fluid redistribution during and post pregnancy. All these factors cause weight gain. For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doc...  Read Full

My cervix length is small. Can I do some exercise to get normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23-week pregnant with DCDA twin. My CL at week 19 was 28 mm and I was asked to take bed rest. Can I do any exercise because I prefer natural delivery? Currently, I am taking Progesterone tablets vaginally and also weekly Progesterone injection.  Read Full >>

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iclinq.com. Cervical length needs to be checked again at 24 weeks for further advice. In general, twin pregnancy has a tendency for preterm labor. Your focus right now should be on preventing preterm labor rather than normal delivery. For normal delivery to happen, you do not need t...  Read Full

Penis enlargement exercises led to swollen veins on my shaft. Please guide me.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a healthy 33 year old male. I have sex regularly and masturbate regularly. Over the years, I dabbled in penis enlargement exercises. I quit doing them a while back because I felt it was causing a damage to the penis. Recently, I used a cock ring, but for not more than ten minute...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shahil Khant

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the images sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If there is a pain of veins, especially when you touch them, or any signs of inflammation, only then it is a thrombophlebitis of veins. In your case, it could be thrombophlebitis, but...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.