Q. What is the cause for the development of painful marks on finger skin after wearing a ring?

Dr. Dilip Meena
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

There was a mark on my finger skin due to wearing a ring. It has been seven days since that mark is being spread, and a little painful as well. Initially, it was a small mark, but now it is getting wider on that finger. I feel itching on that place sometimes. I find little water also coming from that area on the skin. I have been using Neosporin ointment on that for the last few days. It gets a little better, but again the same problem happens. I have attached an image of the finger for your reference.

This skin mark is not present anywhere else. I am a housewife, and I have to do cooking and dishwashing regularly. I think the skin mark is not curing due to frequent water, handwash, and detergent use. These are some queries that I need your help with.

1) What is the exact problem with the finger skin?

2) Which ointment or medicine will you suggest in this case?

3) How much time will it take to completely cure?

Kindly give your opinion.

#

I understand your concern.

It looks like allergic contact dermatitis to the ring (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Also, there can be a secondary component of candidal fungal infection.

I suggest you the following treatment:

1) Candid-B cream (Clotrimazole and Beclometasone), apply twice a day.

2) Tablet AF-150 (Fluconazole) once per week for two weeks.

3) Tablet Levosiz 5 mg (Levocetirizine and Montelukast) once at night.

You will see improvement in few days only but continue the treatment for two weeks, then stop. Also, try to avoid too much water and detergent exposure.

I hope this was helpful.

Take care

|