Q. I have sex with my wife using condoms. Are they 100% safe?

Dr. Radha Peruvemba Hariharan

My wife and I have three children after seven years of marriage life. My third child is eight months old. We have been using contraceptive pills. My wife is taking psychiatric treatment for depression. The contraceptive pills were increasing her problems with depression. We have decided to stop taking contraceptive pills, and we switched to using condoms. The first day of her period was a week ago, and it ended yesterday. We had sexual intercourse a day before her period started. Her cycle is about 28 days. We want to know whether there is any risk of getting her pregnant from sperm that possibly remained in her body from our last intercourse. What is the further advice?

Thank You!

#

I read your query, and I can understand your concern.

There is no chance of your wife getting pregnant having had sex on the day before her first day of periods. So do not worry. This time your wife will not be pregnant. But you must also understand that condoms are not 100% failproof.

Chances of leaking of semen by a tiny hole in it while insertion is there. Also, insertion delay can result in one or two drops of semen entering the vagina. You can undergo sterilization surgery if you want to. Another method is the insertion of intrauterine devices like CuT (Copper T) which also is effective even though not 100% failproof.

You can decide about that.

|