Q. I am suffering from corneal ulcer after PRK surgery. What is the treatment?

Dr. Souhad
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I have done PRK eye surgery about a month ago in both eyes. A few days later, my left eye had some weird blurred vision which turned out to be corneal ulcer that is in the center and relatively big. I got treated immediately with heavy antibiotics Ceftin or Vigamox. After two to three weeks there was some improvement in vision, redness and the loss of epithelial cells is about 1.2 mm, after which I started taking eye steroids, and vitamin C three times a day.

Unfortunately, I found out today that there is another small epithelial defect that opened under the first one (both are still very small). I have bad light sensitivity, and I would like to know if there is anything to be done now apart from waiting to get better. I have been told to be patient at least three months since the scarring is still prominent and central, although it is getting slightly better every time I see the doctor. I am currently on, antibiotic eight times a day with steroids three times and Sythnomyine twice a day. Most of the scar is in the front stroma. But central, and it has been slightly getting brighter every time.

Do you have a question on Corneal Ulcer or Steroids?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Souhad

MEDICAL DOCTOR., OPHTHALMOLOGY MS., OPHTHALMOLOGY DOCTORATE
Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

Indeed a corneal ulcer requires patience, time, and continuous monitoring until it is fully healed or scar forms. Sometimes it might take up to a year and more. It is however mandatory that you add to the list of eye drops that you are using a lubricant (artificial tears) because dryness is inevitable after any refractive surgery and once you are using eye drops that contain preservatives.

You can use the lubricant every hour if you need but except the last hour before going to sleep. That is also very important if your job includes intense visual activities at the PC and or use of mobile devices. I wish you a fast recovery.

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?
Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »
Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can understand your concern. As you told that your mother had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), I want to tell you that antibiotics are not the treatment for IBS. Probiotics ca...  Read Full »

How to stop the discharge released from my left eye?
Query: Hi doctor, I have an eye discharge from my left eye for a week. I thought I have the discharge because of my contact lens (first-time user). I used it for a few days. But I stopped using it now because of the eye discharge. I have eye discharge only from my left eye when I wake up in the morning. S...  Read Full »
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have discharge from the left eye. This is a severe problem, and it occurs due to an infection. You can have one of these two things. They can occur due to viral or bacterial conjunctivitis. It has symptoms of eyelids sticking together when waking up in the morning, ...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?
Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Your sputum stain says that you have lower respiratory tract infection. However, culture is negative which can occur due to antibiotic consumption prior to sputum collection. Treatment would be based on your symptoms.¬†Please mention what symptoms...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now