Q. What could the white cloudy area around the rim of my cornea be?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Vaswani and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Corneal Ulcer or Contact Lens? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I noticed a white cloudy area around the rim of my cornea a couple of days ago with no pain. After a couple of days, I used a rigid gas permeable contact wear. I have now woken up with pain in the same eye and it is now bloodshot around that one side. I decided not to wear the contacts today and I have worn the glasses only. I visited my optometrist and he has prescribed a steroid drop. I am looking for a second opinion. Of note, I have worn glasses for 25 years. I have used the RGP lenses for 12 years. Had a white patch on the edge of the cornea approximately five years back. This was attributed to contact irritation and healed after a few weeks of not wearing RGPs. Please advice.