Q. What could the white cloudy area around the rim of my cornea be?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Published on Apr 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 15, 2019

I noticed a white cloudy area around the rim of my cornea a couple of days ago with no pain. After a couple of days, I used a rigid gas permeable contact wear. I have now woken up with pain in the same eye and it is now bloodshot around that one side. I decided not to wear the contacts today and I have worn the glasses only. I visited my optometrist and he has prescribed a steroid drop. I am looking for a second opinion. Of note, I have worn glasses for 25 years. I have used the RGP lenses for 12 years. Had a white patch on the edge of the cornea approximately five years back. This was attributed to contact irritation and healed after a few weeks of not wearing RGPs. Please advice.

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

This is a corneal ulcer. The probable cause is trauma due to lenses or infected contact lens solution.

Please do not use the steroid drop. You can have devastating consequences. The steroid drops will give you very mild relief but it will stop healing and promote the growth of the ulcer.

Investigations to be done include cultures of lenses and its solution.

You should refrain from wearing the contacts in future. I suggest you use spectacles only.

I suggest you take the following. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the following medicines.

1. Start Moxifloxacin eye drops six times a day.
  2. Start Tobramycin eye drops four times a day.
  3. Start Carboxymethylcellulose plus Naphazoline eye drops 10 to 12 times a day.
  4. Start Homatropine eye drop twice daily. This will cause blurred vision but will give relief.
  5. Start Gatifloxacin eye ointment at bedtime.

Have this treatment until the ulcer heals completely. Visit an ophthalmologist.

Follow up every week.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

I got conjunctivitis 7 days back.I had red eye with eyelid swelling.Now redness is gone but blurring is present.What do I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I got conjunctivitis 7 days back. I had red eye with eyelid swelling.  I used Moxifloxacin hydrochloride from the very first day, every 2 hours. Then I started Fluorometholone 4 times a day and Cyclosporine 3 times a day. And now from 2 days I got blurred eye. Redness is gone...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dada Peer K
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed your history. It seems from the history that you are having conjunctivitis and you are on treatment with moxifloxacin and fluorometholone. The presence of blurring of vision indicates involvement of cornea in the form of keratoconjunctivitis. This usually ...  Read Full

How to choose contact lenses for my power?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to buy contact lenses. I have a spectacle power on both my eyes. The power in my right eye is -2.75, cylinder - 0.50, and axis 20. In the left eye - 2.75, cylinder - 0.75, and axis 20. Please recommend what lens I should opt for. I need a recommendation for both regular wear a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dada Peer K
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems from your history that you are having a refractive error in the form of myopia and astigmatism. This requires a correction by concave lenses and cylindrical lenses. You can go for the prescribed glasses or contact lenses. Coming to the choice of type of lense...  Read Full

My contact lens has dried out. Can I use it?

Query: Hello Doctor, I did not use my contact lenses for two weeks. When I opened the lens case after 2 weeks, my coloured (monthly) lenses had dried out. One of the them seems to be a little smaller. Can I use it?  Read Full >>

Dr. Yelamanchili Alekhya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com   I suggest you not to use the lenses.   Because the solution which protects them from microbes has dried out, there are chances of acanthamoeba infections.   So it is better to change the lens to prevent infections. Consult an eye care ophthalmologist online to choos...  Read Full