Q. I am coughing even after eight days of testing COVID positive. Should I get a blood test?

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

I was tested COVID positive eight days ago. Now I do not have fever or cold, but cough is there. Should I go for blood test? I am taking Multivitamin and Zinc tablets at present. Please give your advice.

#

I have gone through your query, and I can understand your concern. COVID evolves in three phases. The first phase is viral multiplication, in which there are symptoms of fever, cough. Once fever is gone phase of inflammation starts characterized by lung damage, which leads to breathing difficulty and persistent cough. It starts from day six and lasts up to day 13. After which recovery starts. In your case currently, a phase of lung damage is going on, causing a persistent cough. In the current situation, I would consider doing CRP (C-reactive protein) and D-dimer test to see for the severity of infection. Also, keep monitoring your oxygen levels. Along with Multivitamin and Zinc, a tablet of ecosprin can be started based on the severity of infection. For cough, you can take cough syrup like Bro-Zedex (Terbutaline) or Tossex (Chlorpheniramine Maleate and Codeine), or Corex (Chlorpheniramine and Codeine).

I hope this was helpful. If you have any other queries, please get back.

As you said in the morning, I have done my test. I have attached my reports for your reference. Please give your opinion.

#

Both tests are normal (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). What medications are you taking currently? Please answer the question to guide you appropriately.

Thank you,

I am taking Multivitamins and Zinc tablets as directed by the MPHW doctor (Zinc sulfate dispersible tablets IP and Ascorbic Acid Tablets IP 500 mg). Please give your opinion.

#

This you can continue for one month. How frequently do you have a cough? You can start taking cough syrup like Grillinctus-BM (Terbutaline and Bromhexine) thrice a day. I hope this was helpful.

I do not have too much cough, but cough with sputum is there. It is not there the whole day but in a day five to six times. I bought a cough syrup today name Abbott Phensedyl-DX syrup. Please give your opinion.

#

Take it thrice a day. These symptoms should improve over the next three to four days. I hope this was helpful.

Thank you,

When I go for the COVID test again, which test you recommend after ten days of getting symptoms in the body like a fever? And when I meet my family, how many days after the virus will not be transferable? Kindly give your opinion.

#

You can go for a rapid antigen test after two weeks from the start of the symptom. That is on day 15 and day 16. If the test comes negative, you can end your isolation period. I hope this was helpful.

#

Please get back if you have further queries.

|