Blood Tests

I had bleach on my arm during blood tests. Will it affect the results?

Query: Hello doctor, I had blood tests done. There was some Clorox cleaner or bleach on my arm. Can this affect the result?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Whenever blood is drawn for test, the specific area is cleaned and then needle is inserted into vein to draw the blood into a sterile tube. Even if there is bleach in skin after cleaning, the negative pressure to draw blood ...  Read Full »

Can listeria infection result in fatal complications in a baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 18 weeks pregnant. Last night we went out for dinner and she ordered a shrimp cocktail. The shrimp seems a bit off and so she only ate 3 or 4 then we returned them. She also felt a little unwell the next morning, but she had no fever. Her temperature was 34.5 degree Celsius....  Read Full »

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. Listeria infection (through listeria contaminated food) is as such rare but if it does occur it is usually fatal for the baby. I am not trying to scare you. If you really feel that the shrimp might be undercooked and your wife did hav...  Read Full »

Why are eggs not maturing in my ovaries?

Query: Hi doctor, I am trying to conceive for over a year now, but unsuccessful. I went to a gynecologist and he told me that I have no eggs maturing in my ovary and was given Clomid 50 mg. My eggs did not mature and it only grows up to 10 mm. He asked me to come again to try IUI treatments. He mentioned t...  Read Full »

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Sexologist, Andrologist, Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have to do blood tests such as fasting sugar, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), prolactin and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), testosterone and ultrasound of pelvis to see the cause for the immaturity of eggs. Depending on the reports, treatment is advise...  Read Full »

My spleen is enlarged, and CBC is normal. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have enlarged spleen from the last two years. I am 24 years old, male. My spleen size went from 13.4 cm two years back to 14 cm to 14.4 cm four months back. My CBC report looks normal and I have vitamin B12 level as 349 and vitamin D as 11.13. I have MCV level 102.4 and MCH level 34.2...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and below is my opinion. The various causes for enlarged spleen include infection like malaria, Gaucher disease like storage disorder, hemolytic anemia, leukemia, lymphoma, infections, liver disease, etc. The CBC and peripheral smear exami...  Read Full »

Does donating blood affect blood test results?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a few queries about blood donation. I am traveling abroad for joining a new company there and I will have medical tests, which includes blood tests for all lipid profile, cholesterol, liver tests, hemoglobin, WBC, RBC, platelets, etc., and for HIV, hepatitis, etc. I am a regular bl...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Toxicologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Blood donation will not affect your blood reports. However, for blood donation your medical reports that is overall health should be good and that includes all tests to be normal irrespective of blood donation. For what ailment are you taking the hormone testosterone...  Read Full »

Please give an opinion on my blood test report.

Query: Hello doctor, Should another consult with hematologist be conducted regarding no improvement on my blood work since last time? It appears that the folic acid and B12 vitamins are not exactly working. Now T cells are dropping as with CD4 and CD8. HIV remains undetectable whereby, I believe that is r...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Low CD count can be due to altered immune function or HIV. You have been investigated with the molecular tests for HIV. So after four to six weeks of exposure, it can definitely rule out HIV. If you have investigated early with a provided period then you have to rep...  Read Full »

Can Combiflam be used for fever in kids?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 10 years old and weighs 25 kg. She has 102 fever. I am giving her Combiflam syrup 7 ml at four to five hours intervals, but the temperature is still not down. Kindly guide me. What is the dosage of Meftal-P for the same?  Read Full »

Dr. Arpit Varshney

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of fever has to be found out. So, your daughter needs some investigations to be done like CBC (complete blood count) with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), LFT (liver function test), KFT (kidney function test), serum electrolytes. Please get these investig...  Read Full »

Kindly check the blood report after miscarriage and explain.

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter is 25 years old, had a miscarriage a few months back. She lost a lot of blood for a week or two and continued a little less for up to a month total. Her OBGYN doctor and her PA did not give her Iron supplements at the time. This month she had her physical and they did the bl...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The hematology picture is typical of iron deficiency anemia with typical low serum ferritin stores and high MCV values. She has been rightly prescribed Iron supplement by the gynaecologist and should continue it for a month and then repeat her iron profile. Bone marr...  Read Full »

My GGT and ALP are increased in my blood report. Kindly clarify about it.

Query: Hello doctor, I went to do a blood test as part of imitating a weight loss program, but I have some elevated GGT, alkaline phosphate, etc., so need some clarification about it.   Read Full »

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are reporting to have high GGT (gamma-glutamyl transferase) and alkaline phosphatase level. These findings are more related to, 1. Alcohol use. 2. Gallbladder issues like sludge ore inflammation. 3. Drugs side effects (rarely). This is why I suggest doing an...  Read Full »

Please review my reports and advice.

Query: Hello doctor, Please review my report and advice.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. I have checked your attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The blood sugar, cholesterol, and creatinine like values are absolutely within range. Your red blood cells count borderline low but hemoglobin and HCT (hematocrit) within range....  Read Full »