Q. Why does my 6-month-old infant vomiting continuously and has a mild fever?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

My 6-month-old baby has been vaccinated today morning by 10. He was sleepy for most of the afternoon and seems hungrier than usual and by 8:30 pm tonight, he started vomiting and continued for the next few hours. He has a mild fever of 37.7 C.

I fed him sweet potatoes this evening at 6 pm. And mixed its puree with breast milk, then froze them overnight in the fridge and warmed them an hour before feeding them to him in the bottle or food warmer at 40 to 45 degrees.

It is not the first time he has thrown up so much; we are sure that he has a cow milk allergy as he did the same when we tried to give him formula two days before.

I had milk in my coffee and ate cheese today. But it has never been a problem with me eating dairy and he got sick.

My question is : Is vaccines that make him vomit and gives fever? Or have I weakened his immune response to cow's milk by the reactions he had to the formula?

Kindly help.

#

Please note the following important points:

1) None of the vaccines cause vomiting.

2) 37.7 C is a normal temperature post-vaccination, so you need not worry about that.

3) Regarding the history of vomiting, it is not strong enough to suggest an allergy to cow milk protein. If it is a cow milk protein allergy, the child would have multiple issues like eczema, poor weight gain, etc. However, the weight of 8.16 kilograms for a six-month-old child is perfect.

4) I feel that this vomiting is a one-off event and need not worry. I suggest giving him syrup Ondem (Ondansetron) 2 mg or 5 ml on sos (as and when required) for the vomiting.

5) An allergic reaction will not present with vomiting. Instead, it will show in the form of irritable cries, excessive redness of the skin, and possibly difficulty in feeding the child of this age. None of these symptoms seem to be present in your child to classify this as an allergic reaction.

I hope I have answered all your queries.

Take care.

|