Q. Is my kidney deteriorating?

Dr. Krishna Somani
Published on Aug 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 34 year old male. 18 months ago, my serum creatinine and blood urea were 0.9 mg/dL and 15 mg/dL respectively. Around a year back, it was 1.2 mg/dL and 25 mg/dL and now, 1.2 mg/dL and 38 mg/dL respectively. I do not have diabetes. It is 94 mg/dL at fasting. The blood pressure is 110/70 mmHg. My total cholesterol is 209 mg/dL, LDL is 118 mg/dl, HDL is 42 mg/dl and triglycerides is 130 mg/dl. My liver function test shows mildly elevated SGPT, 75. All other parameters are normal. I have gone through five Amoxicillin-Clavulanic acid courses during last one year for sinus and ear infection that is in total 60 tablets during the last year. I am currently taking Urso 300 to lower SGPT, Naturolax for constipation, Ecosprin 150 and EPA-DHA Omega-3 for lowering cholesterol. My doctor has stopped statin drug due to elevated SGPT. Is my kidney deteriorating?

#

• What is your weight and BMI (body mass index)? Are you obese or have a significant tummy?
  • Get a urine routine and microscopy and UPCR (urine protein to creatinine ratio) for excluding any kidney problem.
  • Your creatinine is fine, but still, the tests mentioned above have to be done to be sure.
  • Regarding high liver enzymes, check your viral markers HBsAg and anti-HCV. Does your sonography show a fatty liver?

Revert with the reports to a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

| 

My weight is 65 kg and height is 5'4". My USG showed mild fatty liver. Other organs are normal including kidney. No trace of kidney stone or gallstone. My HCV and HBV antigen are negative. I got HBV vaccination in my childhood, and it is working at present. Every time, when Amoxicillin antibiotic is given, my liver enzyme (SGPT) gets elevated. After that Ursodeoxycholic acid was used to lower SGPT. Why is my creatinine going up from 0.90 mg/dL to 1.20 mg/dL and urea from 15 mg/dl to 38 mg/dl? It is not clear to me. I walk for around 60 to 80 minutes daily to cover a distance of 5 to 6.5 km distance. The average distance I cover during a month is 150 km.

#

• It is clear that Amoxicillin is causing mild hepatitis. So, avoid it and use another alternative.
  • The second thing is, have you got both creatinine values from the same laboratory or different laboratories?
  • Get urine test as mentioned earlier, and that will clear all doubts.

| 

My albumin-creatinine ratio is 5.1 (spot collection in the morning), the urine-creatinine ration is 224 mg/dl, urine albumin is 1.45 and serum creatinine is 1.22 mg/dl. Is my kidney function normal? Do I need to go for contrast-enhanced CT scan? Will the contrast dye damage my kidney? Please reply.

#

• Can you please send me the actual UACR (urine albumin to creatinine ratio) report?
  • There is no need for contrast-enhanced CT. It is potentially nephrotoxic.

| 

I am uploading my reports for your kind opinion. Thank you.

#

• Your report is perfectly normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is no renal issue. Take care.

For further doubts consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

| 

Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state?

Query: Hello doctor, Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state? For example, it dried on a surface and you touch it with another dry object or with dry hands. I understand if you wet the dry blood to clean it up it can transfer but I am talking in a strictly dry state. I was told it ...  Read Full »

Does hepatitis virus stay dormant in the body after infection or get cleared?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been given hepatitis B blood test that showed the HBsAg negative and the hepatitis B core antibody image as positive. I am currently getting labs done for hepatitis B Surf Ab Quant, HBsAg screen, hepatitis B virus profile, and panel. I am getting conflicting information on websit...  Read Full »

What is the significance of increased creatinine level in a diabetic patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 56 year old male. I was told that my creatinine level is 2.3 after my last HbA1c. I am type 2 diabetic. I am now on Atkins diet to reduce dramatically lower carbohydrates. What is the significance of increased creatinine level? What is considered as a critical level? Please exp...  Read Full »

Ask a Nephrologist Now