Q. I am getting spots on my face after using Elvira for acne. Kindly help.

Dr. Dilip Meena
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I used to be on Dianette for acne but had to come off it after two years as it is not recommended you stay in it for that long. It caused me to gain weight, as well. I was switched to Elvira (generic of Yasmin) a year ago. No weight gain but I have spots (around five every day) on my face. I want them to go away. Any recommendations?

Do you have a question on Dark Spots or Acne?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Dilip Meena

MD DERMATOLOGY., MBBS
Dermatology Venereology

I understand your concern, yes the acne in your case looks to have a hormonal component (attachment removed to protect patient identity). And you are taking medicine to address the hormonal factors. Kindly consult your doctor, to discuss the suggestions and consider the following medications with consent,

1. Capsule Doxycycline 100 mg once a day.

2. Adapalene plus Benzoyl peroxide gel (EPIDUO) apply once at night on acne and wash after one hour. Do not rub it and use in very little quantity.

3. Benzoyl peroxide face wash.

Avoid foods rich in the glycemic index that includes milk, sweets, chocolates, etc. Avoid other topical application on face except for non-comedogenic sunscreen.

Also Read Answers From: Dark Spots Acne

Adult Acne: A Common Problem
Article Overview: Adult acne is more common nowadays with changes in lifestyle and the use of various cosmetic products. The treatment of adult acne is a challenge for many dermatologists and is also frustrating for the patients. Understanding the cause of adult acne helps establish a better strategy for the prevention and treatment of adult acne.  Read Article »
Dr. Sreelakshmi S

Acne is very common in the teenage group. But, when we have acne as an adult, it is very frustrating. The Acne treatment which worked in adolescent age can be useless or even worsen the condition. Many people wonder 'do adults get acne?'. Yes, adults can get acne. Some continue to get acne in their ...  Read Article »

Acne: Skin Care Tips and Treatment Options
Article Overview: Acne is the most common problem faced by teenagers which has a social as well as psychological impact. It is said that about 90 to 95 % of the world population would have suffered from acne at some point in their life. Acne is very common during 13 to 30 years of age. After 30 years of age, acne is considered as 'adult acne' which has strong hormonal influence.  Read Article »
Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

How Does One Develop Acne? Acne is a disorder of pilosebaceous unit, pilo meaning hair, and sebaceous meaning oil-producing gland. These pilosebaceous glands are densely distributed over the face, neck, chest, back, shoulder, and arms. It also has a genetic component, meaning the appearance/ severi ...  Read Article »

Acne - Causes, Types, Home Remedies and Treatment Strategy
Article Overview: Acne is a very common condition encountered among teens and adults. To decide the protocol for the treatment of acne, it is important for us to know the causes, conditions associated, sites of acne, the cause of acne and factors affecting the onset of acne. Many home remedies are helpful in treating acne. Mild and moderate acne can be treated with medication and severe acne with other treatment procedures. Prevention is more important than cure.  Read Article »
Dr. Archana

Acne is a very common skin condition. It commonly starts during puberty but can occur at any age. Although it is not a dangerous condition, acne can leave scars on the skin. Acne appears in different parts of the body like face, chest, and back. Acne affects almost all teenagers in different severit ...  Read Article »

Ask a Doctor Now