Q. My husband and I are trying to conceive for the past three months. What are the tests to be done?

Answered by
Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 25, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am a 32-year-old of weight 62 kg. It has been five years since we got married. My husband is 35-year-old. He was working abroad, so we did not stay together for atleast one year. Now he has been here for three months. We are trying for a baby. But today got my periods after 28 days cycle. The previous was 23 days cycle. My period length is four days. My husband has a diabetes starting stage but not taking any medicines for that. He is 71 kg. He has gastric to some foods, so he takes Pan-D tablet sometimes. We want a baby. So what should we do, doctor? What all tests should be done? Kindly give your opinion.



Welcome to

I understand your concern. To conceive, it is very important to track your periods, maintain good health (both partners) and have intercourse at the right time. So from your period log, you mention your average length of the cycle is 26 days, which means your ovulation date will fall on days 11 to 12. So having timed intercourse from 10 to 14 days of a cycle will help conceive. But since you are in a race against time to conceive, it is better to do all the basic workup at once.

For that, both you and your husband have to get tests done, and depending upon the results, the course of treatment can be decided.

Test for your husband are:

1) Complete blood picture.

2) Sugar levels, fasting, and postprandial sugar level.

3) Semen analysis

4) Thyroid function tests.

Tests for you are:

1) Complete blood picture.

2) Sugar levels, fasting, and postprandial sugar level.

3) USG (ultrasonography) to see ovary and endometrium (baseline pelvic scan).

4) Thyroid function tests.

5) AMH (anti-Mullerian hormone).

6) HSG (hysterosalpingography) to see if tubes are patent.

Also, it is advisable to visit a fertility expert in person or over video consult to decide the further line of action.

I hope this was helpful. Please get back if you have further doubts.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
According to scan, the fetus growth is lagging. Kindly clarify it.

.. report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows a baby of 9 weeks and 5 days. With the EDD and calculated date of conception, it is a case of delayed conception where the child is not lagging growth. It is likely that the mother had ...   Read full

My regular menstrual cycle is disturbed for the past 2 months. What should I do to regularize it?

.. your concern. Normal age for menopause is 42 to 52 years during which menses become irregular with excessive bleeding sometimes. So in your case, you might be transiting into menopause. However, if you have excessive bleeding during menses then ta...   Read full

I had two menstrual cycles in one month. Is it something serious?

.. could be bothersome and can be due to hormonal problems or anovulation. Also, local causes need to be ruled out for which you need to visit a gynecologist for an examination. I suggest you check for your prolactin levels, thyroid function test, ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.