Q. My husband and I are trying to conceive for the past three months. What are the tests to be done?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I am a 32-year-old of weight 62 kg. It has been five years since we got married. My husband is 35-year-old. He was working abroad, so we did not stay together for atleast one year. Now he has been here for three months. We are trying for a baby. But today got my periods after 28 days cycle. The previous was 23 days cycle. My period length is four days. My husband has a diabetes starting stage but not taking any medicines for that. He is 71 kg. He has gastric to some foods, so he takes Pan-D tablet sometimes. We want a baby. So what should we do, doctor? What all tests should be done? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Welcome to iclniq.com.

I understand your concern. To conceive, it is very important to track your periods, maintain good health (both partners) and have intercourse at the right time. So from your period log, you mention your average length of the cycle is 26 days, which means your ovulation date will fall on days 11 to 12. So having timed intercourse from 10 to 14 days of a cycle will help conceive. But since you are in a race against time to conceive, it is better to do all the basic workup at once.

For that, both you and your husband have to get tests done, and depending upon the results, the course of treatment can be decided.

Test for your husband are:

1) Complete blood picture.

2) Sugar levels, fasting, and postprandial sugar level.

3) Semen analysis

4) Thyroid function tests.

Tests for you are:

1) Complete blood picture.

3) USG (ultrasonography) to see ovary and endometrium (baseline pelvic scan).

4) Thyroid function tests.

5) AMH (anti-Mullerian hormone).

6) HSG (hysterosalpingography) to see if tubes are patent.

Also, it is advisable to visit a fertility expert in person or over video consult to decide the further line of action.

I hope this was helpful. Please get back if you have further doubts.

|