Q. My period is 3 weeks late and I have been having lower abdominal pain. Do you have any idea of what could it be?

Published on Mar 14, 2015 and last reviewed on: Aug 30, 2019

My period is approximately 3 weeks late, and I have been having sharp lower abdominal pain on the right side. Do you have any idea of what could it be? Thank you!

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If your menses have been delayed for over a week now and if it had been regular all this while, then the first thing which needs to be done is to rule out pregnancy. A urine pregnancy test will help you rule out pregnancy. If the pregnancy is ruled out, then the likely cause of sudden sharp shooting pain in the right iliac fossa could be:

1. Ovarian torsion - It is a gynecologic emergency in which the ovary gets rotated in such a way that the ovarian artery or vein is occluded.
  2. Appendicitis - inflammation of the appendix.

Both shall require an ultrasound pelvis with Doppler studies to establish the diagnosis, and both are emergencies and would necessitate surgical intervention.

Another possibility is if the urine pregnancy test is positive, but no signs of pregnancy in the uterus, in that case, an ectopic pregnancy would have to be ruled out, and serum beta-hCG levels shall be required to confirm the viability of the pregnancy.

If all ultrasound reports and pregnancy tests are negative, then this lower abdominal cramps can be associated with premenstrual syndrome or PMS indicating that probably your menses shall ensue in the next few days.

What is the solution for PMS and painful period?

Query: Hi doctor, I am asking you on behalf of my friend. Here are the symptoms, which she had around three to seven days before bleeding. All symptoms of PMS along with occasional migraine with glaucoma, nausea, pain in the lower part of spine and cramps. On the first day of bleeding, she is having pain...  Read Full »

Can the lower abdomen pain be due to ovulation?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past two days, I am feeling a mild pain on my lower abdomen and having a feeling that my bowels are not getting cleared. I had my last period about two months back. My periods have become irregular since then. Last month, I got examined and was detected having a uterine fibroid...  Read Full »

Why has my abdomen pain not reduced even after taking antibiotics?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. Two weeks back, I had severe abdomen pain and got a sonography done. I have been diagnosed with amebic liver abscess. It was identified 13 days back and I was admitted in hospital for three days and was given saline and Metronidazole dosages, but still not re...  Read Full »