Q. My 2. 4-year-old son only says a few words clearly. Why?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 26, 2021

My son is two years four months old and he is not talking as expected. He speaks few words but it is not clear. He speaks mummy and daddy clearly. If he does not like something, he says no. I am concerned. He is not speaking basic words and sometimes, he just looks at people talking in front of him.

#

You are worried about the delay in speech. It is good to hear that he is saying single words clearly and he is using two-word phrases. Please mention whether you have checked his ears and hearing are normal. Please mention whether his motor development and social development are normal. Follow these strategies. Keep talking to your son while doing everyday activities. Give a running commentary on the activities while you are doing together Speak slowly and clearly. Use baby talk. Sing music and rhymes together. Minimize screen time and avoid using mobile and television before bedtime and meals. Read books together. Have a regular playtime. Make him point and ask for things he wants. Do not jump in and give things before he asks. Try to provide more stimulation and encourage to use words and phrases. He will become better soon. If there are persistent concerns, then consult a pediatrician. Taking treatment from a speech and language therapist will be helpful.

|