Q. Is my tinnitus due to Demodex mites inside my ears?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

I had demodex rosacea on my face severely two months ago. Doctor gave Ivermectin cream for it. I noticed the lobes around my ears was itchy, so I only put Ivermectin outside the ears. About two weeks later, I started getting pulse tinnitus and tinnitus. I went to ENT, and he did tests and could find nothing. So I never mentioned to ENT about the demodex. I still have horrible tinnitus. I have no signs of ear infection or demodex around the ear. Could it be possible that I have demodex mites inside my ears which is causing tinnitus?

#

Well, it is least likely that demodex would cause tinnitus. Itching in the ears would be a more common symptom.

Tinnitus is a symptom with the vaguest etiology, and ear infections even of the external ear can cause tinnitus. However, your doctor would have picked something on otoscopic examination.

Is your hearing fine? Have you done a pure tone audiogram (hearing test)?

If demodex mites got into my ears, what symptoms would I have? I did have appropriate MRIs and CT scans. So far, the doctor cannot find anything. But why I have pulse tinnitus in my ears throughout the day?

#

Demodex infestation would cause intense pruritus or itching first. After that, there can be erythema or redness in and around the canal. There can be discharge also since hair follicles are located in the outer part of the canal.

Tinnitus would be the last symptom. Tinnitus can have a vast number of underlying causes. In most cases, however, the cause remains unknown. Since the auditory pathway is long and has multiple relay stations up to the brain, any alteration in the physiological functioning at any level can cause tinnitus. At times it is high-frequency hearing loss which does not usually cause hearing impairment but can cause tinnitus. Then there can be significant causes. At times it can be slight aberrations in the hair cell functioning that can cause tinnitus. However, in most cases, it is benign and does not portend any severe cause. It might simply go away by habituation and masking.

|