Low Platelet Count

Should SLE medicines be stopped when trying for pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 30 years old. She was diagnosed with an initial stage of SLE before six months. For the past six months, she is taking MMF tablet 500 mg three tablets per day, Flunil 20 mg per day and Wysolone 5 mg per day. She is also having chronic problems such as hair loss, finger numbnes...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. She cannot stop taking medicines during pregnancy but, the tablet MMF (Mycophenolate mofetil) can be replaced by HCQS (Hydroxychloroquine), and low dose steroids can be continued. SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) disease activity increases during pregnancy in some patie...  Read Full »

What is the reason behind low platelets?

Query: Hello doctor, My platelets are usually on lower side ranging from 100000 to 120000 since last one month with no physical symptoms. All other tests are all right like LFT, TFT, and abdominal ultrasound, vitamin B12 is 206 while the iron is 90, urine is also clear. What can be the reason behind low p...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are many causes of low platelet. Low platelet is known as thrombocytopenia. The causes include different types of hemolytic anemia, viral infection, dengue, ITP, uremia, kidney disease, etc. So I suggest you investigate as follow for primary workup: CBC to check f...  Read Full »

My friend's platelet count is low with dengue. Is it good to have papaya to increase the platelet count?

Query: Hello doctor,I am asking this question for a friend. His platelet count has dropped to 33000, and he has also been diagnosed with dengue. We have heard papaya, and papaya juice helps increase the platelet count. However, he has diarrhea and vomitings as well. He is admitted in a hospital and is on I...  Read Full »

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat

General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query carefully, and I want to suggest you that papaya helps increase the platelet count. The only treatment for dengue is fluid therapy, your friend must be on i.v fluid, and he will recover soon.Secondly thing, you told me that your friend also has...  Read Full »

How to increase platelet count during dengue fever?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 8 years old. She has been suffering from fever for five days. Her fever is in the range of 99 to 102 degrees. When we visited a doctor, he asked for a blood test. The blood report shows that she is positive for dengue. The platelet count has dropped already to 52000 from 1,...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through the data you have posted. Low platelet count occurs in almost 70% of people with dengue fever. Normally, in case of disease the platelet count may go low for four to five days and then starts rising. Low platelet count (<100000) has risk of bl...  Read Full »

Does taking Ibuprofen before blood work affect platelet count?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a hair transplant with 1500 grafts. That means about 3500 1 mm holes were made in my neck area (beard) and scalp and formed crusts and healed. Following my transplant (30 hours later), I had a normal white blood count but platelets were very low (60000), after one week my platel...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hereby, I am giving you opinion regarding your case. Platelet has seven to 10 days lifespan but it is produced from megakaryocytes continuously. Surgery or wound healing like in hair transplantation will not reduce platelet count. If following surgery infection occu...  Read Full »

I have decreasing platelet count day by day after a fever. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had fever and my platelet count became low (91000) 10 months back and after taking medicines platelet count became normal. And now my platelet count decreases day by day and after a month, it was 1,40000 and two days after again I checked it becomes (1,30000). Now, I have only 1,250...  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Normally, you have anywhere from 150,000 to 450,000 platelets per microliter of circulating blood. Platelets are produced in your bone marrow. Factors that can decrease platelet production include some types of anemia, viral infections, chemotherapy drugs, heavy alcoho...  Read Full »

How can I cure cough and fever associated with low platelet count?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 years old, male. My problem started five months back. Due to viral fever, my platelets count is low. The report is attached. This time I took antibiotics. Then my digestion system got poor. After some days I started suffering from cold and cough and fever. This time I am not f...  Read Full »

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To me, the changes are due to viral infection you have been experiencing all this while. Now, we should not rely on the complete blood count report only. Sometimes, there is a destruction of platelets due to chemicals inside the sample carrier. I think you should rep...  Read Full »

Though dengue is negative, platelet count is going down with fever. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is five years old, and he was suffering from fever, headache and body pain. He also had some rashes on his face and in some parts of the hands and legs. His fever was ranging from 101 to 102.5 degrees. After a couple of days, on medication, his temperature became normal between 97...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The report suggests some form of viral infection (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have ruled out dengue. He has platelets of 160000 platelets per microliter of blood, and it is in a normal range. There is no medicine available to increase platelet c...  Read Full »

Why is there a fall in platelet count after getting affecting by dengue?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old, and my weight is 53 kilograms. I am affected by C type of dengue. Last week, my platelet count was 204,000 platelets per microliter of blood. Now, I have a mild fever at night and mild abdominal pain in the right side. I am feeling weak, and I am taking good food and d...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In dengue, platelet count usually falls after having a fever. So keep on monitoring the platelet count, and if it goes below 1 lakh, then it requires an admission. Never take any painkillers other than Paracetamol. Take antacid like Pantoprazole to avoid having a gastro...  Read Full »

How to manage microcytic hypochromic anemia with thrombocytopenia?

Query: Hi doctor, My partner was admitted to the hospital for low platelet count, and she was asymptomatic. They did a blood transfusion and gave corticosteroids. There was no improvement on her platelet level. The doctor suggested me to consult a hematologist. On her recent reports, her platelet count wa...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Her platelet count is low in the manual as well as in cell counter. So infective etiology has to be ruled out first. If there is no sign of any infection, then ultrasonography abdomen h...  Read Full »

All the answers published in the forum are given by leading doctors, therapists and health experts.