Low Platelet Count

Why does my platelet count decrease consistently?

Query: Hi doctor, I just wanted to ask a question. My platelets count is consistently low when examined. What is the cause for the decrease in platelet count? I am not sure what are the tests checked? I am taking tablet Zoloft.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the history, you are having low platelet count. The various causes are dengue, malaria, hemolytic anemia, ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura), hypersplenism, a viral infection like hepatitis, EBV (Epstein Barr virus), HIV (human immunodeficiency virus...  Read Full »

Please suggest a treatment plan based on my father's blood report.

Query: Hi doctor, I would like to get a consultation regarding my father. His blood report showed hemoglobin (optical/impedance) 12.4 g%, platelet count (optical/impedance) 93 10^3/cubic mm, WBC count (optical/impedance) 3.6 10^3/cubic mm, packed cell volume (calculated) 36%, serum vitamin B 12 472 ng/L. P...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows. There are mild anemia, low white blood cell count and low platelet count. All counts are considered adequate clinically, as they are near normal. It could be early features of megaloblastic anemia. As vitamin B12 levels are...  Read Full »

Is steroid infusion the correct line of treatment for low platelets in a stable 3-year-old kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My nephew is 3 years old. He got blood spots on his body so when we did CBC we found his Platelets were only 5000. Doctors decided to give him steroids as he was stable. After 48 hours it came down to 4500. But clinically he is stable. So what should we do now? He is in ICU right now ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. I have seen the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The platelets count is very low. So he is having severe thrombocytopenia. The dengue is negative. So in such case it could be an acute immune thrombocytopenic purpura. He is on r...  Read Full »

Why do I have fever, body pain, and rashes on the face?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 57 year old male. I was down with fever since yesterday. My fever is ranging between 101 to 103 degrees Fahrenheit. Along with fever, I have body ache and some rashes on my face. Yesterday, my platelet count was 1 lakh. Today, in CBC the platelets 1.25 lakhs, RBC 4.47 and lymphocy...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. As you develop rash along with high fever, I would like to suggest you consult a physician as early as possible. There are many causes of fever with rash and low platelet counts like dengue ...  Read Full »

What is the cause for stomach bloating and constipation with low platelets?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from bloating since February and from March I am also experiencing severe constipation. I have tried all dietary change but none seem to be helping me here. For the past few days, I was also experiencing pain in the abdomen, sudden sensations in legs, and mild pain in test...  Read Full »

Dr. Arbab Muhammad Kashif Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your previous symptoms are suggestive of irritable bowel syndrome constipation type (IBS-C) provided you have no weight loss, fever, blood in stools, and vomiting. It is not a worrying disease and you just have to follow some lifestyle modifications and simple treatmen...  Read Full »

Why did my platelet count fall after a week of fever?

Query: Hello, I am writing to ask about some symptoms I have been experiencing. I am 57 years old. For almost a week I havehad persistent low grade fever (never more than 100.5). After the end of the week, today I no longer has a fever. We did a blood test and found abnormally low amount of platelets: ...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Keeping into the current circumstances , your fear is completely justified. Good thing is your fever has subsided Excellent is not having any Upper respiratory tract symptoms during the febrile episode Now coming to low platelet count medically known as Thrombocytopenia , your count that ...  Read Full »

I have low platelet levels. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Male, 55, 170 cm, 60 kg, non-smoker, non-alcoholic ,vegetarian. Day before yesterday nose and ear bleeding was there in the early morning. Done blood test and found platelets count 24000 only. The doctor suggested to take rest for 4 days.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Following is my opinion for your case. Your platelet count is low and suggestive of severe thrombocytopenia (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The bleeding could be due to that. The reactive large platelet also seen in smear. So platelet destruction mi...  Read Full »

What causes frequent nose bleeds and patches of blood spots?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a few things and I am worried about that. I feel it could be connected. Firstly, I keep getting patches of blood spots on my body. They are not of huge in size, but still noticeable. I am also getting frequent nose bleeds for no apparent reason. I hardly ever got them before. A...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The constellation of symptoms that you shared with us today are concerning for multiple conditions. The fact that you are having easy bruising and nose bleeding indicates that there might be deficiency of coagulation factors and or low platelet counts. The fatigue can be...  Read Full »

Please suggest a treatment plan for platelet disorder.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is suffering from platelet disorder from the last one month. She had nearly about 58 units of platelet transfusion, but still her platelet count is not up to the mark. What to do further?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Platelet count needs to be maintained around 200000, if there is no bleeding. As I am not sure about the platelet count and the cause of your mother, if this is maintained then it is adequate. Multiple platelet transfusions c...  Read Full »

What causes burning back pain and morning stiffness with low platelet and Hb?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from low platelet count, low hemoglobin, burning back pain, shoulder pain, arm pain, forearm pain, breathing problems, abdominal pain, morning stiffness, foot, and hand pain. I feel tired, eyes pain and burning, headache, pallor, and frequent urination. My burning pain ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The shoulder pain, arm pain like symptoms could be because of low vitamin B12 levels. So you can complete the course of B12 injection. For breathing issue, however, you need to investigate with spirometry and chest x-ray. Additionally, I have observed that your hemo...  Read Full »