Low Platelet Count

What is the cause for stomach bloating and constipation with low platelets?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from bloating since February and from March I am also experiencing severe constipation. I have tried all dietary change but none seem to be helping me here. For the past few days, I was also experiencing pain in the abdomen, sudden sensations in legs, and mild pain in test...  Read Full »

Dr. Arbab Muhammad Kashif Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your previous symptoms are suggestive of irritable bowel syndrome constipation type (IBS-C) provided you have no weight loss, fever, blood in stools, and vomiting. It is not a worrying disease and you just have to follow some lifestyle modifications and simple treatmen...  Read Full »

Why did my platelet count fall after a week of fever?

Query: Hello, I am writing to ask about some symptoms I have been experiencing. I am 57 years old. For almost a week I havehad persistent low grade fever (never more than 100.5). After the end of the week, today I no longer has a fever. We did a blood test and found abnormally low amount of platelets: ...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Keeping into the current circumstances , your fear is completely justified. Good thing is your fever has subsided Excellent is not having any Upper respiratory tract symptoms during the febrile episode Now coming to low platelet count medically known as Thrombocytopenia , your count that ...  Read Full »

I have low platelet levels. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Male, 55, 170 cm, 60 kg, non-smoker, non-alcoholic ,vegetarian. Day before yesterday nose and ear bleeding was there in the early morning. Done blood test and found platelets count 24000 only. The doctor suggested to take rest for 4 days.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Following is my opinion for your case. Your platelet count is low and suggestive of severe thrombocytopenia (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The bleeding could be due to that. The reactive large platelet also seen in smear. So platelet destruction mi...  Read Full »

What causes frequent nose bleeds and patches of blood spots?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a few things and I am worried about that. I feel it could be connected. Firstly, I keep getting patches of blood spots on my body. They are not of huge in size, but still noticeable. I am also getting frequent nose bleeds for no apparent reason. I hardly ever got them before. A...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The constellation of symptoms that you shared with us today are concerning for multiple conditions. The fact that you are having easy bruising and nose bleeding indicates that there might be deficiency of coagulation factors and or low platelet counts. The fatigue can be...  Read Full »

Please suggest a treatment plan for platelet disorder.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is suffering from platelet disorder from the last one month. She had nearly about 58 units of platelet transfusion, but still her platelet count is not up to the mark. What to do further?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Platelet count needs to be maintained around 200000, if there is no bleeding. As I am not sure about the platelet count and the cause of your mother, if this is maintained then it is adequate. Multiple platelet transfusions c...  Read Full »

What causes burning back pain and morning stiffness with low platelet and Hb?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from low platelet count, low hemoglobin, burning back pain, shoulder pain, arm pain, forearm pain, breathing problems, abdominal pain, morning stiffness, foot, and hand pain. I feel tired, eyes pain and burning, headache, pallor, and frequent urination. My burning pain ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The shoulder pain, arm pain like symptoms could be because of low vitamin B12 levels. So you can complete the course of B12 injection. For breathing issue, however, you need to investigate with spirometry and chest x-ray. Additionally, I have observed that your hemo...  Read Full »

Can Ibuprofen lower the platelet count?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a hair transplant with 1500 grafts. That means about 3500 1 mm holes were made in my neck area (beard) and scalp and formed crusts and healed. Following my transplant (30 hours later), I had a normal white blood count but platelets were very low (60000), after one week my platel...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hereby, I am giving you opinion regarding your case. Platelet has seven to 10 days lifespan but it is produced from megakaryocytes continuously. Surgery or wound healing like in hair transplantation will not reduce platelet count. If following surgery infection occu...  Read Full »

Should SLE medicines be stopped when trying for pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 30 years old. She was diagnosed with an initial stage of SLE before six months. For the past six months, she is taking MMF tablet 500 mg three tablets per day, Flunil 20 mg per day and Wysolone 5 mg per day. She is also having chronic problems such as hair loss, finger numbnes...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. She cannot stop taking medicines during pregnancy but, the tablet MMF (Mycophenolate mofetil) can be replaced by HCQS (Hydroxychloroquine), and low dose steroids can be continued. SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) disease activity increases during pregnancy in some patie...  Read Full »

What is the reason behind low platelets?

Query: Hello doctor, My platelets are usually on lower side ranging from 100000 to 120000 since last one month with no physical symptoms. All other tests are all right like LFT, TFT, and abdominal ultrasound, vitamin B12 is 206 while the iron is 90, urine is also clear. What can be the reason behind low p...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are many causes of low platelet. Low platelet is known as thrombocytopenia. The causes include different types of hemolytic anemia, viral infection, dengue, ITP, uremia, kidney disease, etc. So I suggest you investigate as follow for primary workup: CBC to check f...  Read Full »

My friend's platelet count is low with dengue. Is it good to have papaya to increase the platelet count?

Query: Hello doctor,I am asking this question for a friend. His platelet count has dropped to 33000, and he has also been diagnosed with dengue. We have heard papaya, and papaya juice helps increase the platelet count. However, he has diarrhea and vomitings as well. He is admitted in a hospital and is on I...  Read Full »

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat

General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query carefully, and I want to suggest you that papaya helps increase the platelet count. The only treatment for dengue is fluid therapy, your friend must be on i.v fluid, and he will recover soon.Secondly thing, you told me that your friend also has...  Read Full »