Q. Should I be concerned about the fit of my clear retainer?

Dr. Mayank Khandelwal

I got a root canal on my #32, and when I went to fit the new crown, my dentist cut part of my clear plastic bottom retainer. It does not bother me when I wear them, but I am concerned that now my back tooth is not fully covered. The other side of my bottom last tooth is fully covered by the retainer.

#

I hope you are doing well.

Retainers are a very important part of orthodontic treatment as they keep all the corrections achieved during the orthodontic treatment intact till bones and surrounding tissues mature. In general, it takes approximately one year for this process to complete since the end of the treatment. Beyond this time, as the tissues mature, the tendency for teeth to move or shift gradually keeps decreasing. Hence, full-time retainer wear is reduced to nighttime, followed by alternate daywear to a time when retainers will not be required.

Coming to your case, the #32 tooth is the last and has the slightest tendency to move around even with the absence of retainers. I feel the only concern is if the retainer fits properly on other teeth after getting cut. If it does and no other issue regarding fit and stability is found, there is no need to worry about it.

The crown placed will also act as a retainer (partially), and if no occlusal interferences or pain or loose crown is felt, the crown is in a good position.

So, there is nothing to be concerned about but make sure about your oral health and its hygiene maintenance. Rest everything looks good without any hassles.

Do reach out for further information or clarifications, if any. Regards.

|