Q. Will my teeth return to their original position if the retainer is not worn after orthodontic treatment?

Dr. Alfiya K Jamal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 05, 2022 and last reviewed on: Jul 06, 2022

I have recently got my braces removed and have got retainers, but the retainers are not comfortable. So I wanted to ask whether the teeth will move again the same way they were before getting braces or if the teeth will move differently as I am uncomfortable wearing the retainers. So I want to stop wearing them. Please advise.

#

After orthodontics treatment, the relapse rate is very high. That is, there is an increased chance that the tooth will return to its previous position because the tooth and the tissue holding the tooth are loose. So it is very important that you wear a retainer compulsorily. And also, little discomfort with the retainer is common, so try using it regularly. Then after one or two weeks, if discomfort is still there; you can repeat or replace it with a new one. (transparent retainers are also available).

It can be due to ill-fitting retainers.

A clinical photograph is required for further investigations.

It can be due to ill-fitting retainers.

Advised regular use of retainer to get used to it, still discomfort is present then it needs to be replaced.

Please follow up after one week of use.

|