Q. Why am I facing difficulty in studying?

Published on Jun 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2019

I am a medical intern. I understand that as a doctor and fellow senior you would understand the amount of social and economic pressure we are in. I was a good and a bright student. My success and fame came easy in school and entrance. Till now I have not faced failure. But, the fear of failure always haunted me and spurred me to perform. Since I have gone to medical college, I have dropped out of my focus. I cannot focus on studies or any important work. I know that I am wasting time, but I cannot stop procrastinating. I just push deadlines and always worry about the result. I always go to my friend room to see if he is reading or not. If he is not, then I am happy. I become happy by seeing his failure to read, but I do not feel that I should myself read for my satisfaction. I am always concerned about what others doing. I try to read, but wander away into browsing and then repent the waste of my time. I know that  I am a good student and if I read I can do better than the average. But, I cannot read. I open a book and I just cannot go further. All negative thoughts about how much time I have wasted and how my friends are more studious than me fill my mind. I have everything including my family support. But, I just cannot be happy and study. The thoughts of failure always haunt me. I cannot stop myself from wasting time. I would be really obliged if you would help me. Thank you.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

The things you are facing are faced by a lot of medical students during their studies. Before medical exams they usually top the classes and score big. In medical school there are a lot of distractions and individuals usually give less time to study. But, that does not mean that they cease to remain intelligent. Lack of focus, distraction, poor concentration, etc., are the main causes of poor performance in studies.

Thoughts what others are doing, seeing others if they are studying, etc., are occurring due to insecurities after poor studies. If your focus and concentration improve, then you will come out of these problems. Lack of interest in studies, poor focus, poor concentration, procrastinating, etc., could be occurring due to depression. Mild depression can lead to such symptoms. Treatment with SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) like Sertraline, Paroxetine, Escitalopram, etc., can help to reduce your bad thoughts and you should feel better.

Apart from this I suggest Vitamin B12 and E supplements, which will help to improve the focus. SSRIs will improve the depressive thoughts and your focus will improve. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. Yoga and meditation also help to improve the focus and thus act as supplement to medicines. So, just do not remain depressed. Your symptoms will improve in no time.

For further doubts consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Thoughts about my breakup haunt me and I feel lonely. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am feeling alone in life. I came to work abroad and fortunately got a job at a clothes shop and running it for a year. But, I have not been able to save to help my family. I feel weak and no proper food I am eating. I do not want to deal with customers at the shop. My past breakup ...  Read Full »

I lack confidence in myself and cannot talk to new people. Please help me.

Query: Hello doctor, I lack confidence when I am alone. I am always confident when it comes to the public. I really get busted and also I do not know why. I cannot talk to new people or crossgender with an initiative. I even do not know why I always feel lonely like I know I do not have people to talk eve...  Read Full »