Q. Small scaly rashes on my shaft start spreading after applying jock itch cream. Kindly help.

Dr. Hari Pathave

I had a small scaly rash on my shaft for about a month, and it would itch after sex. I bought Lotrimin jock itch cream and have been using it for a few days now. After this cream application, the rash seems to spread with redness in the shaft and skin crack. Previously it was only on the left side of the penis, and now it is spreading.

#

Yes, it looks like dermatophytosis (fungal infection) with additional contact dermatitis. You can start Luliconazole 1% cream at night for two weeks, Venusia cream morning for 15 days, Mometasone and Fusidic acid cream in afternoon and evening for seven days. Take Levocetirizine 5 mg one tablet in morning and night for five days, then one tablet at night only for five more days. Avoid tight clothing and wet undergarments. Wear dry and loose clothes.

Treatment depends on improvement and should be continued for a few more weeks. Additionally, you can do KOH mount and culture for fungus for confirmation.

Follow up after seven days.

How about my sex life? Please advise.

#

As dermatophytosis is a fungal infection, it can spread from one person to another through direct contact and also through clothes as it is contagious. Your partner should also take treatment if infected with fungus.

Avoid sexual contact until the rash subsides.

|