Q. My baby was born with twisted legs. Can it be treated through surgery?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a 21 months old baby, and she was born with twisted legs, which resulted from the cord around the neck issue during pregnancy. She was diagnosed with nerve atrophy in her legs. They said she might recover if the atrophy of her legs can be treated. She underwent motor nerve conduction study at the age of 6 months, and only the left leg showed a response. At the age of 13 months, they redid the same study and reported that the right leg started to show some response, which gave hope that her legs may get treated through physiotherapy. They recently did an MRI for the brain and reported that her brain is fine. The doctors recommended showing the case to an orthopedic, as her issue is not neurological. Can her twisted legs be treated through surgery or some other way rather than physiotherapy? I have attached the CT scan, MRI of the brain, and some pictures of the baby's leg. Please help.

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

I have seen all the attached reports and photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As I have not examined the child, I will not comment on the current issues.

• Left hip dysplasia and subluxation need constant observation, and I feel that as the dates on the x-rays are not mentioned, this is one thing that needs to be done. X-ray pelvis with both hips and lateral view. If it is dislocated, then surgical treatment is needed, as the child is nearly two years and valuable time has been lost.
  • Bilateral club feet need to be confirmed by an orthopedic surgeon, and again treatment should be started with corrective casts and surgery may or may not be required based on the degree of corrections and response to plaster. Again, this treatment should have been started at birth.
  • The weakness of both limbs from a congenital condition called amniotic band constriction or Streeter's disease. These bands need to be urgently decompressed to allow nerve regeneration to occur at a faster pace.

For more information consult a fitness expert online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fitness-expert

|