Q. What is the procedure for deworming in non-vegetarians?

Dr. C. Elanchezhian

I am a non-vegetarian, and I would like to get treatment to clean my stomach for worms or any possible parasites as I eat non-vegetarian food frequently. I weigh around 66kg, so please suggest a good deworming medication. I also take Lactifiber every day to avoid constipation. Please advise if I can take Lactifiber while I am on deworming treatment. Thank you.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

The doses of deworming medication depend on the type of worm.

I have the following suggestions for you-

1) For Ancylostoma, Ascariasis, hookworm, and Trichostrongylus- you can take a tablet of Albendazole 400 mg once.

2) For Enterobius (pinworm)- you can take a tablet of Albendazole 400 mg once and repeat in two weeks.

3) You can use Lactifiber (Lactitol and Ispaghula) for constipation, even during deworming.

As you suggested, I have to take Tablet Albendazole 400 mg twice once and repeat the same after a week. Am I correct? Can I also take Praziquantel additionally?

#

I understand your concern.

You can take a tablet of Albendazole 400 mg, for now, then repeat after two weeks.

At present no need to take a Praziquantel tablet. Praziquantel is used to treat Schistosoma liver fluke.

I suggest you go for a stool examination before taking any additional medication.

|