Q. Can Sitagliptin phosphate be taken to reduce blood sugar level?

Dr. Shazli Naseer

I am 36 years old and am having diabetes for five years. Fasting ranges from 180 to 220 without medicine. Now I have decided to take Sitagliptin phosphate 100 mg per day to lower diabetes. Is it fine?

#

To answer briefly, yes you should take added medicine. Sitagliptin is a good choice, added to Metformin. Please send me your HbA1c as well. But as I tell all my patients, treating diabetes properly does not limit to taking medicine only. It involves a lot more.

1 or 2 readings usually does not give a clear picture. When I treat diabetes, I look at it 360 degrees, from lifestyle, food, the timing of food, timing of medicine, sleep pattern, co-morbid conditions, hormonal balance, Vitamin D level, evaluation of the type of diabetes which is most important. You are 36 years of age. If medicine 2 onboard diet and exercise are still keeping your blood sugar above 150 and 200 category, you should look into checking into your insulin level, to make sure you are not becoming type 1 diabetes category where your body needs insulin to survive. I have been seeing this pattern frequently now among 30 to 40 years old category.

|