Q. Can Sitagliptin phosphate be taken to reduce blood sugar level?

Dr. Shazli Naseer

I am 36 years old and am having diabetes for five years. Fasting ranges from 180 to 220 without medicine. Now I have decided to take Sitagliptin phosphate 100 mg per day to lower diabetes. Is it fine?

Dr. Shazli Naseer

Diabetology
#

To answer briefly, yes you should take added medicine. Sitagliptin is a good choice, added to Metformin. Please send me your HbA1c as well. But as I tell all my patients, treating diabetes properly does not limit to taking medicine only. It involves a lot more.

1 or 2 readings usually does not give a clear picture. When I treat diabetes, I look at it 360 degrees, from lifestyle, food, the timing of food, timing of medicine, sleep pattern, co-morbid conditions, hormonal balance, Vitamin D level, evaluation of the type of diabetes which is most important. You are 36 years of age. If medicine 2 onboard diet and exercise are still keeping your blood sugar above 150 and 200 category, you should look into checking into your insulin level, to make sure you are not becoming type 1 diabetes category where your body needs insulin to survive. I have been seeing this pattern frequently now among 30 to 40 years old category.

| 

Related Video

Is it necessary to take medicines for tricuspid regurgitation and aortic stenosis separately?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife aged 72, weight 65 kg, is a diabetic type 2 for the past six years, hypertensive for the past two years, is suffering from moderate tricuspid regurgitation, aortic valve sclerosis, and pulmonary hypertension for the past two years. Her systolic function is good and there is no d...  Read Full »

My mom's diabetes medicines are making her feel dizzy and weak. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 53 years old. She is a diabetic and under medication. Her list of medications is as follows: For diabetes, Glyciphage SR 1 gm (1-0-1) and Volibo 0.2 (0-1-0). For cholesterol, Stator 10 (0-0-1) and for stamina, Stamina-OD (1-0-0). Under medication, her sugar levels before ...  Read Full »

Does Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?

Article Overview: Tooth decay and missing teeth can prevent proper chewing ability and thereby affect digestion of food, but gum diseases can result in much more serious effects on one’s general health. This article aims to educate about the effects of gum/dental health on general health. Read Article

Dental diseases can be broadly classified as tooth decay and gum disease and both of these diseases results from bacteria. Gum diseases are generally referred to as gingivitis and periodontitis. The term gingivitis means inflammation of the gums and periodontitis suggests inflammation and destr...  Read Article

Ask a Diabetologist Now