Q. I have difficulty in breathing. Is it due to my heart condition?

Dr. Ritendra Nath Talapatra
Published on Mar 12, 2018

I am taking medicines for the heart. Now, I have difficulty in breathing. So, I decided to see cardiologists. Here are the findings: the study is done using standard transthoracic 2D echocardiographic views.

Normal left ventricular internal diameter with left ventricular mass index (LVMI) of 93.9 gm/m2 and relative wall thickness (RWT) of 0.53. There is normal wall motion and contractility with normal left ventricular systolic function with ejection fraction of 59 % by Simpsons. Normal left atrial anteroposterior diameter with left atrial volume index of 20.60 ml/m2 without thrombosis. Normal right ventricular dimension with adequate contractility. Normal right atrium, main pulmonary artery, and aortic root dimensions. Structurally normal aortic, mitral, tricuspid, and pulmonic valves without restriction of valve opening. No pericardial effusion. The result of ECG is sinus tachycardia. I hope you can help me. Thank you.

#

By reviewing your clinical symptoms and medical records (attachment removed to protect patient identity), here are the salient findings with explanations.

In your echo report, you are having concentric LVH (left ventricular hypertrophy), means you are hypertensive for a long time and your current antihypertensive medications are not controlling it well.

You are having sinus tachycardia despite 1.5 dose of Coralan (Ivabradine) which is not normal.

You are feeling breathless despite ARB medications.

So, my suggestion for you is as follows:

1. Salt restricted diet.
  2. Tablet Telmisartan (Telma) 80 mg one tablet at 8 AM
  3. Tablet Chlorthalidone (Ctd) 12.5 mg one tablet at 8 AM
  4. Tablet Metoprolol XL (Metocard XL) 50 mg one tablet at 8 PM.
  5. Tablet rosuvastatin 20 mg at 10 PM.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Do my X-rays show the beginnings of asthma or COPD?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with bronchitis yesterday in the emergency room. Felt very weak and difficulty breathing and could not wait for my doctor appointment in two weeks. I have an unproductive cough for a month and a half and burning in my chest. Today very breathless when talking. Do these X-...  Read Full >>

Dr. Abaranam
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These X-rays show dilatation of your airways (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From X-ray, we cannot confirm the diagnosis. To differentiate asthma and COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) you need to do a spirometry testing. That will confirm th...  Read Full

Why does my breathlessness get worse when cocaine wears off?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking cocaine once a week for 20 years and on the 1st of last month, I started getting a cough and breathless. It was getting worse when the cocaine wore off. Anyway, I had an ECG which was clear and a 24-hour tape also clear. CT scan on lungs clear. Then I had an ultraso...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, cocaine has got a wide range of effects on the heart. So, hypokinesia means there is some damage to the heart which may be due to cocaine or may be due to coexistent coronary artery disease. So, you will need coronary angiography preferably, conventional and...  Read Full

I was diagnosed with bronchitis in ER. Is it the correct diagnosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with bronchitis today in the emergency room. I felt very weak and had difficulty breathing and could not wait for my doctor's appointment in two weeks. I have an unproductive cough for a month and a half and burning in my chest. I have attached my reports. Do you se...  Read Full >>

Dr. Suneel Mukati
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your present and past history, it could be allergic rhinitis with bronchial asthma if rhonchi present on auscultation. it could be bronchitis in which rhonchi may or may not be present. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect pati...  Read Full