Q. My dad gets breathing problem only during night. Kindly interpret his ECG report.

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2020

My father has breathing problem at night. I consulted the general physician. He took an ECG and said he has some heart problem and gave some prescription. Please help.

#

Does he get any other symptoms like chest pain or heaviness or breathlessness on exertion? Is there any wheezing or whistle-like sounds during breathing? Please attach the whole ECG (electrocardiography) and prescription.

Now here, only the last part of ECG tracing is visible, which shows T wave inversion (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This means there is possibility of blockages in his arteries. So he will need further evaluation. He should undergo echocardiography, lipid profile. And depending upon the results, he will probably need angiography.

Until his further investigations are done, he should be started on blood thinners like Aspirin and statins like Atorvastatin, which I guess must have been started on by a physician. Also, he should avoid excessive fluids and water intake.

He does not have any symptoms other than sudden breathing problem at night only.

#

All right, so there are changes in the ECG. Considering his diabetic status and history of smoking, it raises the strong possibility of blockages. So he should have the medications prescribed, avoid excessive fluids and liquids, and should undergo further investigations like echo and may need angiography, as soon as possible.

|