Q. Kindly explain the interaction of pomegranate juice with Rosuvastatin.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 07, 2021

I was reading on the internet that one should not take pomegranate juice while on Rosuvastatin. It damages the kidney and muscle loss will occur. Please advice.

#

I had gone through all the data posted.

• There is no direct interaction between pomegranate juice and statin so it is not absolutely contraindicated.
  • But, drinking pomegranate juice by people who are taking statin may lead slower metabolism of stain and may increase the effects and side effects of statin.
  • The side effects of statin mainly include fatigue, muscle pain and liver injury. So, it is better to avoid drinking pomegranate and even grape juice while you are taking a statin.
  • Still, studies are going on, and there is no sufficient proof for the above hypothesis. The above theory was proven only in rats.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|