Q. Will Ashwagandha interfere with anesthesia during lymph node removal surgery?

Dr. Abhishek Singh
Published on Jul 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 22, 2019

I did not realize my surgery would be so soon. I have been taking Ashwagandha and an Omega 3 supplement. I am having an enlarged lymph node removed in my neck under general anesthesia as an outpatient procedure. Will it be safe to undergo this procedure under anesthesia in a few days? I heard this might interfere with the effectiveness of the anesthesia.

Dr. Abhishek Singh

Anesthesiology
#

Removal of a lymph node is not an extensive surgery. So, no need to worry much.

As far as anesthetic risk is concerned, you may face the following problems because of your high BMI (body mass index).

1. Difficult bag-mask ventilation.
  2. Difficult airway and intubation.

As far as Omega-3 supplement is concerned, it has nothing to do with anesthesia drug. Ashwagandha is a herbal drug, it also has no significant interaction with drugs used to give general anesthesia.

So, keep yourself motivated and anxiety-free.

For more information consult an anesthesiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/anesthesiologist

Can I get a spinal block for laparotomy instead of general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with a 13 cm complex cyst in left ovary and have a laparotomy (small 3 to 4 inches vertical incision under my belly button to get rid of ovarian cyst) coming up and I would feel so much better if I could just get a spinal block instead of general anesthesia. I ha...  Read Full >>

Dr. Yatish Anant Jadhav
Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Spinal anesthesia is good for surgeries below umbilicus eg., pelvic surgeries, and ovarian cyst as in your case. But the size of your cyst is large, more than 10 cm and it is a complex cyst (not simple) which would mean surgeon may have to see other intrabdominal struct...  Read Full

Can I use Ashwagandha or Shilajit for fatigue caused by masturbation?

Query: Hi doctor, Earlier in my life I had the problem of over-masturbation. This was related to my mental depression as well. However, I have recovered from the habit of over-masturbation. But, still I masturbate once in four days. This causes fatigue, back pain and leg pain. Can I use supplements such as...  Read Full >>

Dr. Niveditha Srinivasamurthy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you can certainly go for ayurveda supplements. Masturbating once in four days is not abnormal. You are probably low on essential vitamins and that is causing the body pain. I would not recommend Shilajit. It is to be taken under strict medical supervision only. Go fo...  Read Full

Is it safer to take Zoloft after inguinal hernia operation under general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor,I am about to have an open inguinal hernia operation after 15 days. I have been having terrible anxiety leading up to it. I went to my PCP today and informed him of this. He prescribed 25 mg of Zoloft for me. I have read that it takes a month for Zoloft to work. Also, I have read that Z...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vamsee Kiran Lakkam
Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know that whether your hernia is the cause of anxiety. If anxiety is the case let me assure you that you have nothing to worry from surgical aspect as hernia repair is not a complicated or major surgery. So, the blood loss should not be worrying if you w...  Read Full

Ask an Anesthesiologist Now