Q. How do I reduce the dull pain in my hamstring?

Dr. Rashi Verma
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am doing dance for a year and a half now. After dance class I used to do stretching. Since Monday, I am feeling a dull pain in my right hamstring and quad. It was uncomfortable for me to walk up and down the stairs. So, I applied ice and took Ibuprofen. Then throughout the day the pain was still there but not unbearable. Today when I woke up, the pain was much worse. It hurt so much to go up and down the stairs and it hurt more to walk. Today I had stretched even more. Should I go to the doctor to get it checked? Kindly suggest.

#

The initial goal of treatment is to reduce pain and swelling. To accomplish this, I recommend you to do the following.

• Take a break from strenuous activities to allow the injury to heal. Use a cane or crutches to avoid putting your full weight on your injured leg.
  • Apply ice packs several times a day to relieve pain and reduce swelling. As you are already doing this, please continue.
  • Wrap the injured area with a compression bandage or wear compression shorts to minimize swelling.
  • Rest with your leg elevated above the level of your heart, if possible, to improve drainage and minimize swelling. Take combination of Aceclofenac, Paracetamol and Serratiopeptidase combination twice a day.
  • After doing all these, if the symptoms persist please consult a nearby doctor who will evaluate you further for a possible fracture or tendon injury.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|