Q. Does mild deviated nasal septum make you more prone to dust allergy?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

I have sneezing cough, frequent postnasal drip, and have been allergic to dust for more than three years. I had taken tablet Montek-LC, Fluticasone nasal spray, and Azelastine nasal spray but no relief. I had taken nasal endoscopy, and it showed a mild deviation of the nasal septum, but the ENT specialist suggested no need for immediate surgery. The MRI of brain and paranasal sinus shows no sinusitis.

Kindly help.

Thanks.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern.

I suggest;

1. Allergen avoidance.

2. Immunotherapy (allergy vaccines).

3. Medicines

I suggest taking the medicines which you have taken already: a steroid or antihistaminic nasal spray (Fluticasone is steroidal and Azelastine is antihistaminic) plus an antiallergic combination. Tablet Montek LC (Levocetirizine and Montelukast), tablet Allegra (Fexofenadine), and many others are oral antiallergics. In patients like you who have the problem recurrently, over many years, we try and identify the cause of allergy. A skin prick allergy testing is suggested for the same. Once the cause is clear, we have two options. a) Avoid allergens. b) If you are unable to avoid specific allergens like dust or pollens, or fungus, vaccines can be given, and it is a permanent solution. Kindly revert if any further queries.

Thanks.

|