Q. What are the symptoms of DVT?

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

I have some pain in my lower left leg. It is more focused behind and around the knee, in my upper calf, and in the arch of my foot. It is not discolored or swollen or warm or colder than the other side. It is just uncomfortable. I have been pretty stationery due to an infection, but I do get up quite often to use the bathroom, and I often stretch. This pain started before four days.

It has not gotten worse but at the same time has not reached better. Does it sound like a pinched nerve maybe or DVT? Should I go to the ER or make an appointment to see my primary care doctor? I am currently under Macrobid. I have done blood tests, hormone levels, CBC, and electrolytes test many times and all seems to be normal.

#

Leg pain behind the knees which is localized, non radiating in nature with no swelling, no history of prolonged bed rest and no fracture of a limb. Hence, this is not deep vein thromboembolism.

DVT occurs when there is a prolonged history of immobilization with sudden onset of swelling. This also does not look like cellulitis where is a superficial subcutaneous infection, which is most common cause of swelling and pain.

If this is more on walking, then we have to rule out claudication first and second is knee joint pathology. Kindly tell me if there is any history of trauma or fall, or any associated disease.

There is no history of fall or trauma. I was not on bedrest, but I was not as mobile as before. I spent most of the days on the couch. Like I said though I get up quite a bit if only for a few minutes each time.

#

Do not get nervous, it is not DVT. You follow the instructions for further management.

1) Get x-ray of knee and ankle.

2) CBC (complete blood count), and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) to rule out any inflammatory process.

3) Tablet Zerodol SP (Paracetamol, Acelofenac and Serratiopeptidase) one tablet BD (twice daily) for three days.

Do some limb physiotherapy like extension and flexion. If any further query, please feel free to ask.

|