Q. Are hearing loss and earache signs of ear infection?

and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Oct 01, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

I have earache and hearing loss in the right ear, jaw crackling sounds while speaking and swollen preauricular lymph nodes, what should I do? Do I have an ear infection?

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

As per the details you have provided, there seems to be an infection. The location of it is most probably the ear (especially the outer part called auricle and external auditory canal). To be sure you must consult an ENT specialist who will examine the ear, nose and throat and arrive at a diagnosis. He will thereafter prescribe the right medicines for you. However, I emphasize the need to show an ENT specialist as soon as you can.

Secondarily it can also be arthralgia of the temporomandibular joint because of an infective cause. Also, severe nose and throat infection can cause such problems too. If left unattended, it can result in complications like ear discharge, further enlargement of the nodes and pain, the spread of infection to surrounding areas, etc. Hence please avail the services of an ENT specialist to avoid any unwanted complications. I hope you get better soon.

Why the ear pain increased after using prescribed ear drops?

Query: Hello doctor,A few months back, I had ear pain and according to the doctor, I had a fungal infection and got my ear cleansed and prescribed some drops for my ear to be used. As I used those ear drops my ear pain got increased and it turned into a very severe pain that I start feeling that some fluid...  Read Full »

Bilateral Sensorineural Hearing Loss

Article Overview: Bilateral sensorineural hearing loss refers to a condition where there is a hearing loss in both the ears due to the hair cells of the inner ear being damaged. This article deals with the causes, types, symptoms, and treatment of SNHL. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

What is Sensorineural Hearing Loss? Our ears have three portions namely outer, middle, and inner ear. When the inner ear is damaged, sensorineural hearing loss occurs. It is referred to as sensorineural because the inner ear and hearing nerve need to work together for proper hearing. What Causes S...  Read Article

Can mold cause ear infections?

Query: Hello doctor, Last year, I noticed that my 3 year old's tonsils were very large. I contacted his doctor. But, he could not find anything wrong. I later noticed him yelling or talking loudly and asking me to repeat a lot. So, I had a hearing test done and he failed. They explained that he had a flui...  Read Full »