Q. Are hearing loss and earache signs of ear infection?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

I have earache and hearing loss in the right ear, jaw crackling sounds while speaking and swollen preauricular lymph nodes, what should I do? Do I have an ear infection?

#

As per the details you have provided, there seems to be an infection. The location of it is most probably the ear (especially the outer part called auricle and external auditory canal). To be sure you must consult an ENT specialist who will examine the ear, nose and throat and arrive at a diagnosis. He will thereafter prescribe the right medicines for you. However, I emphasize the need to show an ENT specialist as soon as you can.

Secondarily it can also be arthralgia of the temporomandibular joint because of an infective cause. Also, severe nose and throat infection can cause such problems too. If left unattended, it can result in complications like ear discharge, further enlargement of the nodes and pain, the spread of infection to surrounding areas, etc. Hence please avail the services of an ENT specialist to avoid any unwanted complications. I hope you get better soon.

|