Q. What is the best medicine to get rid of severe ear pain and deafness?

Answered by
Dr. Radha Peruvemba Hariharan
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 08, 2021 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2022

Hello doctor,

I am a 37-year-old male, and my height is 5'11", and my weight is 89 kg. I have terrible ear pain and deafness. I am currently Sertraline. My ear pain has been getting worse over the past four days. What should I do?




Welcome to

Your symptoms are suggestive of a middle ear infection. There is the possibility of wax in the ear canal.

Is there any discharge from the ear?

Do you have a cold or nasal block?

Until you consult an ENT (ear-nose-throat) for this issue, for the time being, you can follow the precautions mentioned below;

1) Tablet Paracetamol (Tylenol) 650 mg three times a day after food.

2) Antihistamines tablets like Levocetrizine 5 mg once a day.

3) Use Ofloxacin (antibiotic) ear drops two drops three times a day.

4) Tablet Chymoral Forte (trypsin-chymotrypsin) twice a day, one hour before food.

5) Also, take steam inhalation three times a day.

6) Take only hot food or drinks.

7) Also, avoid swimming or taking a head bath till the pain is gone.

Try to visit an ENT surgeon to see if you have wax in your ears.


Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is there any treatment for sinusoidal deafness?

.. a bilateral sensorineural loss which is progressive. There is no medicine which can prevent further loss. You have to get serial audiograms every six months to see the progression of the hearing loss. Current treatment is to wear a good quality ...   Read full

Why the ear pain increased after using prescribed ear drops?

.. your concerns. Regarding your ear pain, it is most likely what is called otitis externa which is an infection of the outer canal of the ear most likely fungal. Wet ear is the most common cause also called swimmer's ear. The most appropriate manag...   Read full

What causes ear pain with mild hearing loss and throat pain?

.. details, you have given I understand that you have a throat infection for the past two days and you also have left earache and ear block. Also mild hearing loss on that side. This is most probably a resultant of the throat infection. There is a tu...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Practitioner Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.