Q. Even after using Glycerin Phenol drops, my ear wax does not come out. Please help.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 24, 2021 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2021

How can I get rid of hardened wax? I got it removed professionally about three months ago, but when a doctor saw my ears, he told me that my ears are prone to excessive build-up of ear wax. I do not want to remove it every time. I have been advised to use Glycerin Phenol drops to soften it and help it to drain out. But nothing happened. Every time I use the drop, the pain in my ear goes away, but after a few days, it comes back. I never had a problem with my ear. It started seven months ago after I got a COVID-19 infection. I only have ear pain. There is no blockage or ache. Is there a cure, or will it be the same?

#

Thanks for the briefing regarding the problem in concern. You can consider the following advice for wax hardened in the ear.

1. Please stop using earbuds at any cost.

A. Introduces new infection into the ear canal and can be the reason for severe folliculitis.

B. You can end up traumatizing the ear canal and eardrum since cleaning your ear on your own is ultimately a blind technique.

C. The wax, which usually falls off on its own due to jaw moments, gets further pushed inside the ear and can cause trouble.

2. Soliwax ear drops (Benzocaine, Chlorbutol, Paradichlorobenzene, and Turpentine oil) ear wax dissolvent (there are multiple brands out there and anyone would do) three drops three times a day for five days. This will liquify any impacted ear wax and gradually subside the pain and inflammation. However, when you do not find any relief in a situation, it is best to get the retained impacted contents (wax) suctioned out under vision by visiting an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist. This is invariably required, as the wax dissolvent drops, liquefies the wax, and does not eradicate it. Once this blob is removed, you will find immediate relief from the symptoms. I hope I have answered your query. If there is anything more that you need to know or inquire about, please do; let us know and get back to you.

Warm Regards.

|