Q. Even after using Glycerin Phenol drops, my ear wax does not come out. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 24, 2021 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2021

Hi doctor,

How can I get rid of hardened wax? I got it removed professionally about three months ago, but when a doctor saw my ears, he told me that my ears are prone to excessive build-up of ear wax. I do not want to remove it every time. I have been advised to use Glycerin Phenol drops to soften it and help it to drain out. But nothing happened. Every time I use the drop, the pain in my ear goes away, but after a few days, it comes back. I never had a problem with my ear. It started seven months ago after I got a COVID-19 infection. I only have ear pain. There is no blockage or ache. Is there a cure, or will it be the same?



Welcome to

Thanks for the briefing regarding the problem in concern. You can consider the following advice for wax hardened in the ear.

1. Please stop using earbuds at any cost.

A. Introduces new infection into the ear canal and can be the reason for severe folliculitis.

B. You can end up traumatizing the ear canal and eardrum since cleaning your ear on your own is ultimately a blind technique.

C. The wax, which usually falls off on its own due to jaw moments, gets further pushed inside the ear and can cause trouble.

2. Soliwax ear drops (Benzocaine, Chlorbutol, Paradichlorobenzene, and Turpentine oil) ear wax dissolvent (there are multiple brands out there and anyone would do) three drops three times a day for five days. This will liquify any impacted ear wax and gradually subside the pain and inflammation. However, when you do not find any relief in a situation, it is best to get the retained impacted contents (wax) suctioned out under vision by visiting an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist. This is invariably required, as the wax dissolvent drops, liquefies the wax, and does not eradicate it. Once this blob is removed, you will find immediate relief from the symptoms. I hope I have answered your query. If there is anything more that you need to know or inquire about, please do; let us know and get back to you.

Warm Regards.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What can I do to relieve the ear pain that appeared after I used ear scoop?

.. put anything inside the ear including ear drops and water should not go in while bathing.Next, do you have Paracetamol at home? It is otherwise known as Acetaminophen and Tylenol. You may take that according to your weight.Say your weight is 50 kg...   Read full

Why is there pain in my ear even after using ear drops?

.. is not so, as you have an infection in the outer part of the ear. It is called as otitis externa. In this condition, there will be a severe aching pain in the outer ear. The cause of otitis externa may be due to a humid environment, any micro-inju...   Read full

Here Is What You Need to Know About Earwax

Ringing sensation in the ear: also known as tinnitus, the ringing can be intermittent or continuous ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

My triglycerides level was 207 mg/dL. Is it necessary to take medicine?
Hi doctor, Recently, I got a lipid profile done, and the triglycerides level was 207 mg/dL, apart from that everything ...  Read more»
My lipid test report shows quite high values. Kindly advice.
Hello doctor, I am 35-years-old. My cholesterol level is 222, triglycerides 87, HDL (cholesterol) 60, LDL (cholesterol)...  Read more»
Triglycerides - Causes, Medications, Symptoms, Risk Factors, and Treatment
Triglycerides are derivatives of glycerol and fatty acids. They might sound simple but the causes and symptoms contribut...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.