Q. There is incomplete right bundle branch block with inferior infarct in ECG. Why?

Dr. Isaac Gana

Yesterday my wife on her annual checkup got an abnormal ECG. The report says: Normal Sinus Rhythm, Incomplete right bundle branch block, inferior infarct, age undetermined. She is 55, a little overweight, otherwise healthy. We are very worried.

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

I understand how worried you are about your wife's health, do not worry she will be fine soon. The ECG shows evidence that points to the fact that your wife has a injury to the right part of her heart. This can cause a disruption of electrical impulse traveling to that area which show cased as (right bundle branch block). I advise you see a cardiologist. She needs to do further investigations like Echo to ascertain how well her heart is working and to know the extent of damage. I wish her a speedy recovery. Best regards.

| 

Is it urgent? Like going to ER today? Or appointment with cardiologist in 10 days is fine? Where can I learn more about this specific heart issue, what questions should I ask cardiologist?

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

You should see a cardiologist as soon possible. Tomorrow if you can. Although these changes in the ECG might occur also in normal healthy people due to error in placing the ECG leads, It is also possible she suffered a silent heart attack. This usually presents without obvious symptoms. The cardiologist might ask her to repeat the ECG and also do an echo. Echo is most accurate in showing if there was a prior heart attack. The questions you can ask will be dependent on the result of the ECHO. If the Echo confirms there is evidence of a heart attack, you should ask him how bad the heart muscles are damaged? Ask about necessary changes in lifestyle, medications she might need to take, activities she can engage in.

| 

Chest Pain in Heart Attack

Article Overview: Many people fear chest pain of any type because they think it may be a heart attack. In this article, I have described when a chest pain should be taken seriously and when it should not. Read Article

Chest pain is very fearsome for common people due to its association with a heart attack. No doubt, chest pain should be taken seriously especially in old age and in those with risk factors for heart attack such as diabetes mellitus, hypertension, etc. But remember one thing that all chest pains are...  Read Article

Please explain the status of my ECG report.

Query: Hello doctor, My ECG report shows: 800 normal sinus rhythm. 331 negative PV1. Left atrial enlargement. 500 RSR pattern in V1/V2. What is my status?  Read Full »

Is heart attack genetic?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old female. My father who is 65 years old has suffered from two very severe heart attacks, one recently and another two years back. His father and brother both died in their 50s from heart attacks. Is heart attack genetic? Should my son and I get tested?  Read Full »