What are the risk factors of extra-uterine pregnancy?

Q. Does my ultrasound report show extra-uterine pregnancy?

Answered by
Dr. Ismail Mikdat Kabakus
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 17, 2023

Hello doctor,

Please read the ultrasound and provide feedback. I was advised by a midwife that based on the imaging from my ultrasound, it looks like I have an extrauterine pregnancy. Seems as if the fetus is behind my bowels. My current symptoms are nausea, amenorrhea, weight gain, pelvic pressure, food aversions, night sweats, etc.

I am currently on Lamictal, Propranolol, and Prenatal vitamins.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can understand your concern. Upon carefully reviewing the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I agree with the diagnosis.

The uterine cavity is empty, and there is an extra-uterine baby/pregnancy. The problem with extra-uterine pregnancy is rupture and internal bleeding, which may lead to hypovolemic shock.

In the first three months, they usually try medical treatment (Methotrexate). After the first trimester, the treatment is almost always surgical. An ectopic pregnancy occurs when a fertilized egg grows outside of the uterus. Most ectopic pregnancies occur in the fallopian tube. As the pregnancy develops, it can cause the tube to burst (rupture). A rupture can cause major internal bleeding. This can be a life-threatening emergency that needs immediate surgery.

The risk factors for ectopic pregnancy include the following:

1.Previous ectopic pregnancy.

2. Prior fallopian tube surgery.

3. Previous pelvic or abdominal surgery.

4. Certain sexually transmitted infections (STIs).

5. Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID).

6. Endometriosis.

Other factors that may increase a woman’s risk of ectopic pregnancy include cigarette smoking, age older than 35 years, history of infertility, use of assisted reproductive technology such as in vitro fertilization (IVF).

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Treatment plan:


Hi doctor,

Thank you for your kind help.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

You are welcome. Keep in tpouch for further doubts.

Hi doctor,

Thanks for your assistance.

If possible, can we set a time to do a conference video chat?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I really do not do video conferences. There are many requests, and I am not able to answer them.

Please let me know any written questions you have. I will be happy to help you.

Hi doctor,

Thank you for the reply,

After obtaining your second opinion, I went to an obstetrician and he diagnosed me with (PUL) pregnancy in an unknown location. He wanted to administer Methotrexatem, and I know the baby is too big for that, and it will cause complications. He is not willing to look at other options. I have been turned away by several doctors and I am beginning to leak milk. I wanted to know if there is a doctor in your area that would be willing to help me. The doctor's office that I left today advised me that no doctor in my area will see me. I have insurance and I do not mind traveling. I just need help. If you are not familiar with a doctor, can you provide me with advice or anything that you feel could help me?




Welcome back to icliniq.com.

As far as I know obstetrician decide the treatment by looking at blood hCG (human chorionic gonadotrophin) level and ultrasound. They all may start with Methotrexate if there is a continued drop in hCG level, it may work. If not, they do laparoscopic surgery. It is not my area of expertise but I do not think it is absolute contraindication to start with medical treatment. As a patient, you may always choose surgical treatment. You do not need to travel anywhere to see doctors, most of the institutes have video patient visit opportunity, you can easily get an appointment and ask their opinion. You will not lose anything asking about their opinion. If all or most of them suggest the same treatment, then it is most probably the best way to go. I wish I could help you more but I am not familiar with obstetricians in my area. Please do not be late, the more you wait, the more your risk for internal bleeding increases.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How does severe endometriosis affect pregnancy?

.. obstetrics, gynecological, medical, surgical, and drug history also should be described here to make things more clear. Her MRI or ultrasound report would be helpful for me to explain better. Zoladex is Goserelin acetate, that is, luteinizing hormone   Read full

How to confirm if I have a pelvic inflammatory disease?

.. inflammatory disease) diagnosis is typically based on presenting signs and symptoms of the patient. There may be fever, lower abdominal pain, new or different discharge, pain during intercourse, irregular bleeding, cervical motion tenderness, or uterin   Read full

How to avoid ectopic pregnancy?

Hi doctor, My wife had first ectopic pregnancy before two years and her left tube was ruptured ... If tuberculosis have not done irreversible damage to the tube and endometrium (inner lining of the uterus), then   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Radiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.